Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 SW Idaho group(SWIG)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idaho45
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile
ANY enthusiasts out there interested in getting kanikapila going in this area??? Ukulele/SlackKey students/players/instructors... please submit comments/suggestions... time/place/frequencies.. as for the Hawaiian connection remember the state's largest county was named after Hawaii(probably)..

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  07:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Yes, I am interested in kanikapila and learning.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
OK, we are trying to get something started in Boise. Wednesday JAN 9th, 2008 at 6:30 pm we will meet and have an introductory workshop targeted at begineers. Then starting JAN 30th, we plan to meet weekly for a slow-hands jam session every Wednesday. All experience levels are welcome, and the more the merrier. Email for details.

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

Nai`a
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nai`a's Homepage
[quote]Originally posted by Earl

OK, we are trying to get something started in Boise. Wednesday JAN 9th, 2008 at 6:30 pm we will meet and have an introductory workshop targeted at begineers. Then starting JAN 30th, we plan to meet weekly for a slow-hands jam session every Wednesday. All experience levels are welcome, and the more the merrier. Email for details.

- Earl

Aloha Earl,

Glad to see you're thawing out. Probably weird to have sunlight mid winter too.
Hope you've settled in a bit and are enjoying new scenery. Happy Holidays.
No Camp this year?

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Uh, my sister-in-law, who lives in Boise, is a marvelous vocalist and pretty good, if untutored guitarist/singer/songwriter. She has been on pro CDs with local Boise Bands. One of her bandmates is a great lap steeler. If Sarah thinks it is a good idea, we will post contact info. Repeat: she is pro.

..Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Reid's thinking of a great slide guitar/dobro guy named Alan that was in the band my sister used to have, but that was in her old band some years back. I played with them one time, or rather, they played backing me up, and he was good - could do anykine even though he never knew about slack key. However, the members of that group eventually went different ways. In her current group one member, Josh, plays slide guitar (among other things). I've never met him, but he might be looking for some more musical fun, and he could be contacted through their website http://www.theheard.com/ Those of you in Boise or other Idaho cities might have already heard of them, as they play around the state.

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  11:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
A big aloha to Sarah, Reid and Jay. Great to hear from you. Alice and I won't be able to make Aloha Camp this time around due to the move. I wish, but just "no can". We are enjoying the extra daylight and what passes for winter here (snicker).

When you cannot find it, create it. So we will spark plug a ukulele jam group here in Boise to meet once a week or so. I hope to branch out into slack-key too, if we find some kindred spirits. I know that there are taropatchers in north Idaho, but so far no one else is listed here in the deep south of Boise.

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  04:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Earl, nice to see you posting!

"thawing out nicely in the southern latitudes of Idaho" ...my sister tells me Boise is in what they call "the banana belt" -- you should thaw pretty soon!

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
The first Boise ukulele kani is set for Wednesday JAN 9th. We will likely take a couple of weeks off (as I travel) then start again weekly as of Jan 30th. Spread the word.

- Earl

PS: Alice and I had a great time last weekend at Neeej's kani in Seattle. Well worth the trip over, and we'll be back from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
The Boise Ukulele Group is now up and running. We had nine people at our meeting last Wednesday evening, including three newbies to the uke. We will continue on and see how things develop, but it is a promising start. There is also a new Hawaiian themed restaurant (good grinds)that just opened a couple fo weeks ago, and we will look into playing there.

www.boiseukulelegroup.com

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  10:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Earl, does this mean that if we join, we will have caught the BUG?

Your group joins the list of great acronyms of Northwest `ukulele groups - SUPA and PUA (Portland `Ukulele Association). Mahina, what's your `ukulele group in Eugene called? And no, I'm not talking about Sweet Aloha.

Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

pekelo
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  05:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit pekelo's Homepage
Aloha kakou
I'll be in the boise area from about Feb 13 thru about March 21
and will be offering uke and slack key lessons for anyone interested.
Details are on my boise site www.kikaman.com/boise
Please contact me for further details. I'm also the co-founder of
SUPA.
Pekelo
kikaman @ yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  6:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Earl and Alice,

You just "make" Hawai'i where you are! Good luck on your new group, hope you have lots of fun and great music. Maybe someday we will meet again on Molokai's shores.

Love and hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  12:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Aloha Julie,

We are trying our best to share the spirit of aloha (as we have learned it at AMC) and extend it to Boise and beyond.

And we WILL meet again on the shores of Kaupoa - count on it! We only missed this year because of the logisitics of the job change and moving from Alaska.

- Earl & Alice
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Pekelo,

We would love to have you drop in on our weekly Wednesday BUG (Boise Ukulele Group) meetings. I will let the group know and hopefully we can get you booked for some ukulele lessons. Most of the group are beginners and have been getting informal lessons durign our meetings.

Personally, I would like to have some int/adv ki-hoalu lessons while you are in town.

Please contact me via email when you can.

- Earl noisebuster @ hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000