Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Outstanding Mexican roots music to listen to
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
There has been a lot of talk here over the years about the relationship between slack key and the music of the Mexican/Californio vaqueros.

I just learned about a band dedicated to a rockin' folk music called El Son Jarocho which is played on stringed instruments like the jarana and requinto and a big rhumba box called the marimbol. Son Jarocha is a musical style from Veracruz -- if you saw the Ritchie Valens story you heard Los Lobos playing La Bamba in the real old style.

No, it really isn't related in any way to slack key, but it is wonderful music that will expand your horizons.

Do yourself a favor and check out Los Cojolites and listen to the three clips on their MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/loscojolites

If anyone with better Spanish skills than me can determine how to order their new cd, please let me know.

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  06:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Another group that covers the northern area of Mexico and south Texas is the Mexican Roots Trio, Joel Guzman (accordion, vocals), Sarah Fox (vocals), and Max Baca (bajo sexto, vocals). Joel grew up in Sunnyside, WA, next door to Santiago Almeida, the bajo sexto player for Narciso Martinez, "el Huracan del valle".
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thanks, Kory. As an accordionist, I shoulda known you'd be into Norteno music. It's my favorite road trip radio choice when I'm driving south through the San Joaquin.

Mexico has a huge variety of music that is sadly little known north of the border. Most folks, if they think of Mexican music at all, might think of Mariachi-- the big brass band tradition. But there are incredible fiddle styles, accordion-driven music, harps, marimbas, and many truly wonderful string band styles. Not to mention some tuly inspired modern fusiods that I hear on the radio and Link TV. Yow!

quote:
If anyone with better Spanish skills than me can determine how to order their new cd, please let me know.

I asked the folks at Guadalupe Custom Strings, and they say they'll have cds for sale in a week or two.

Edited by - Mark on 09/29/2007 08:52:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  10:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Nice find.

Here's more:

http://www.youtube.com/user/loscojolites
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked