Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mic Comparison - take two
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  02:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The second version of the simple-minded mic comparison includes the following mics: Behringer ECM8000, AKG 535, Shure SM81, Oktava MC012 with cardioid, omni, and hypercardioid capsules, Shure KSM44 in cardioid and omni patterns, Shure SM57, Shure SM58, Countryman EM-101, Neumann KM-184, and Neumann TLM-103.

Mics were tested in batches of four, with the Behringer used as the control mic, present in all the batches. Mics were mounted 18" from the neck-body joint of a Martin OM-18V, connected through M-Audio DMP-3 and Omni I/O preamps to a Delta 66 sound card. Each clip is a mono wave file. We attempted to match levels within the batch, and the waves were not normalized after capture.

You can download the clips from http://www.fxguidry.com/mictest1 and possibly find some information of use to you.

Thanks to Arnie Krueger for suggesting the ECM8000 as a control mic, and to Doug Young for providing the Neumann microphones.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  02:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK Fran, you've enabled me to reach a conclusion: You have WAY too much free time on your hands.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Craig, in this particular instance, my life manager was out of town. I would also say in my defense that this little exercise has probably saved me about $4K - I will be much more able to resist upgrading my recording equipment.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  1:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sorry Fran, I was just kidding...forgot to put the exclamation mark and winking happy face in my post!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile
To me, it mostly proved that it's nearly impossible to tell mics apart, when the results are played through computer speakers. Made me feel a little better about my SM58!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Craig, I knew you were kidding. I should have done a smiley myself. I have to agree with oaklandslacker that the differences between mics are very very subtle. Uncle Ray would sound exactly like himself, and make us all smile and tap our foot, recorded through an SM58, and that's what counts, right?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000