Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lena Machado
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
While I was in Hawai`i, I picked up a CD by a pretty well-known and well-loved composer. Not understanding the Hawaiian language without dissecting it, a friend who does `olelo Hawai`i described the composer's style as quite literal.

The example of this composer's songwriting style as explained to me (although the example may have been fabricated)...

This is my pen
I write with my pen
I write a letter to a friend
I mail the letter using a stamp
The letter is received
My friend reads it
And my friend responds
By writing a letter
With his pen
I receive the letter and read it
Thus we have communicated
This is the story of the pen

I laughed my `okole off at this and then realized we have composers who write in this same fashion in English - for example, Paul Simon.

(Keola probably knows the composer to which I am referring...)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile
But from watching some of Eddie Kamae's films, I have learned that certain sords inferred certain other meanings. I think one example was water or moisture referring to physical love; or pua referring to children or nui manu referring to a bunch of people.

Is that true? Are there "standard" kaona words that one needs to be a native speaker to understand?

There is one modern composer/singer/musician/kumu hula who has written a song about ho`onipo and is quite direct about it, no beating around the lehua bush, as it were. But it is a swell song, IMHO, just not subtle. Are modern haku mele more direct?

That even goes back to some earlier posts about songs such as "Lai Toodle" and "Kaulana Na Pua", which are pretty darn powerful "protest" songs, but the melodies are beautiful and sweet yet they state their positions in a rather polite and pono way.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:38:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

But from watching some of Eddie Kamae's films, I have learned that certain sords inferred certain other meanings. I think one example was water or moisture referring to physical love; or pua referring to children or nui manu referring to a bunch of people.

Is that true? Are there "standard" kaona words that one needs to be a native speaker to understand?

There is one modern composer/singer/musician/kumu hula who has written a song about ho`onipo and is quite direct about it, no beating around the lehua bush, as it were. But it is a swell song, IMHO, just not subtle. Are modern haku mele more direct?

That even goes back to some earlier posts about songs such as "Lai Toodle" and "Kaulana Na Pua", which are pretty darn powerful "protest" songs, but the melodies are beautiful and sweet yet they state their positions in a rather polite and pono way.

There is nothing that says certain words only mean certain thing in kaona. The danger is when you use words that are commonly used to express certain thoughts in a different way, in which you run the risk of having your meaning misinterpreted. A pua or lei would commonly be either a lover or a child, and only in the greater context of the song would you really know for sure.

I'd flip this around. Rather than looking at is from the perspective of "how many ways can pua, lei or rain be interpreted" I'd say look at how many different ways there are in Hawaiian to express the concept of a lover or child. How many other ways are there to imply a large group of people, rather than just 'ka nui manu'? How many other ways are there to imply the act of lovemaking other than the mist encircling the forest, the rain moistening a lehua blossom or the lapping of the sea against the shore? That is the palette from which a composer can paint his or her mele. That's where a depth of knowledge of the language and literature comes in to play.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 10/05/2007 06:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  2:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Keola - thank you so much for sharing your mana`o with us. We are honored.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
It is Aunty Lena Machado's birthday this week. So you can expect that an hour of this week's Ho`olohe Hou broadcast will be dedicated to her compositions performed by artists of both yesterday and today.

I will try to squeeze in all of the compositions Jesse listed in his original posting:

* E Ku`u Baby Hot Cha Cha
* Ei Nei
* Holau
* Holo Wa`apa
* Ho`onanea
* Ipo Hula
* Kamalani O Keaukaha
* Kaulana O Hilo Hanakahi
* Kauoha Mai
* Ku`u Wa Li`i Li`i
* Lei Kiele
* Moani Ke Ala Ona Pua Makahikina
* Mai Lohilohi Mai Oe
* Mom
* None Hula
* Nuku O Nu`uanu
* Pohai Kealoha
* Pua Mamane
* U`ilani

So, let's have a little fun with this. Do I hear any votes on whose version of a particular song you would like to hear? I'll cast the first stone... I mean vote: I want to hear Marcella Kalua sing "Lei Kiele."

I will also pull out some as yet unrereleased Aunty Lena Machado from old 78 rpms.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I don't know all of her songs, so here are a few with artists I enjoy.
Jesse Tinsley

Ho'ohaehae (Ma'a nei mai 'oe) - Kimo Alama Keaulana and Lei Hulu
Holo Wa'apa - Ale'a
E Ku`u Baby Hot Cha Cha - Kawai Cockett
Ei Nei - Raiatea Helm
Kauoha Mai - Iz and Mel Amina (medley with Na Ka Pueo)
Mom - Dennis Pavao
None Hula - Joe Keawe
Pohai Kealoha - Amy Gilliom
U`ilani - Hui Ohana
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  08:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Aunty Elodia Kane - E Ku`u Baby Hot Cha Cha
Clyde Kindy Sproat - U`ilani - including his talk story about visiting her in the hospital (also love the Hui `Ohana version)

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000