Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Do `Uke players use a strap?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  05:31:32 AM  Show Profile
I have not seen very many `ukulele players wearing a strap when playing standing up. Is it not difficult to play the chords well plus keep the instrument from slipping down if you do not use a strap? Also, the `ukes I have looked at do not seem to have a place to which to attach a strap, so I assume that a strap is not the norm?

When I buy my `uke,m what kind of "accoutrements" do I need as well?

Mahalo for the kokua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  07:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Some players do use straps. I've seen one on Brittany Paiva's uke. And I think I've seen one on Jake Shimabukuro. But just as many players don't use straps. It probably depends on whether one plays standing or sitting and if the stand still or dance around. I've never seen kumu hula use straps very much during a performance so it depends on the individual. Concerts are rather small so I might suggest something that clips into the sound hole similar to a classical guitar type strap. I've seen Momi with a strap that goes across and around her body with a part that then goes to the uke and she plays a concert Kamaka. Old vintage by the way and sweet sounding. Try ask her. Of course you might get strings. In Hawaii they always throw in a spare set. A case is comming with the instrument I suppose. If you folks don't have a tuner then get one. Because your hubby already plays I am assuming you have music stands instrument stands and a comfortable chair since you may end up sitting for hours working on your playing and learning songs etc. Ukes with pickups have a button where the jack is usually located and a second button can be installed where the neck meets the body like on most guitars. or be like Byron Yasui. Just tie one string long enough to do the job. Hope you are having fun.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 10/03/2007 07:46:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Using or not using a strap is a personal choice. From a purist point of view a strap is probably taboo. However, I find it very difficult to have the fretting hand free to change chords etc. smoothly without having to hold the headstock up. If I cradle the instrument enough with my right forearm to allow more freedom of the left hand then it places my right fingers too far up on the fretboard for picking. So I choose to use a strap. I install strap buttons on the tail and then use the Acoustic Quick-Release system from Planet Waves.

Here is what it looks like and they are inexpensive.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Quick-ReleaseGuitar-Strap-System?sku=420500

Good luck.

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I got my uke strap from Ron Saul in San Luis Obispo. John Leder of SUPA (one of our music theories gurus) had one and highly recommended it and him. I contacted him by phone because last time I checked, he didn't have a web site to sell 'em. Mr. Saul was delightful and very easy to work with. The strap loops around my neck, goes under the body of the `ukulele, and hooks into the sound hole. I didn't want to put a peg into my Kamaka, and I didn't want to velcro anything onto it either. You have to be careful if you reach for something else while you're hooked it because your `ukulele can tumble forward if you're not paying attention.

I think I paid around $15 not including shipping and handling. I think the straps come in blue, red, black, and rainbow.

I'll email Wanda with the phone number - anyone else interested can email me privately - I don't want Mr. Saul to get spam-called (you know what I mean).

Edited by - Momi on 10/03/2007 08:17:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  10:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I've used the Ron Saul strap on my soprano for years--I didn't want to have a strap button installed permanently. I play it sometimes with the strap but most of the time without. It is a personal choice, as Dominator opines. The "plastic-backed" instruments (Fluke, Flea and Ovations come to mind) are sometimes pretty slippery in addition to having the usual "how do I keep a good hold of it" ukulele issues; for those instruments, I've found a strap is a real benefit. I have an Applause Ovation and it has a permanent strap button installed on it. It's the one I play when I'm teaching beginning ukulele players in our little group because I can quickly have my hands "free" to point things out to the newbies or help them place their hands on their instruments in a better position. Plus, I talk a lot with my hands and when I'm leading a group, I can continue to gesticulate without dropping the little soprano. For a picture of my Ovation's strap. how I made it and its installation, go here:
http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Ukulele_strap_and_button.pdf

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Any classical guitar-style strap will do the job.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  12:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, links, phone numbers, etc. It is most appreciated. You guys are the best!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  1:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Momi got me one of the Ron Saul straps, too. I don't use it very often, as I'm just comfortable holding the instrument with my right forearm most of the time. However, I have found that if I'm on stage, in a setting where it is critical that I keep my uke aligned with a microphone at all times, that strap has become invaluable.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile
"accoutrements," Wanda??

I'm thinking beer, lau lau, kalua pig, chicken long rice, etc., and so forth.

And cookies. Always cookies.

Don
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  4:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Don - I do make some top notch white chocolate-macadamia cookies; and some white chocolate/macadamia "brownies". I don't want my opu to get too much nui nui post-retirement, though. I did cook loco moco yesterday for dinner and Portugese bean soup today.

I would use just finger to strum or do I need picks?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Here's what the straps look like:

Here's how you insert the hook:

Here's what the strap looks like attached to the `ukulele:
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  8:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Just an opinion: grow the miki'ao for use like one pick. I just wen score one hot cake/waffle mix I foget wea from but get real mac nut chunks insi. Hu ka 'ono loa kela.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  01:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Momi - thanks for the pictures. That strap looks like a very clever design. Is that Retro playing the part of the runway model?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:59:04 AM  Show Profile
That is Retro, and that's his six-string Mele too.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The second picture tells all - I'm going for the Willie Nelson look on the instrument.
(Note also - I requested that my face not be in the pictures --- woulda bin too "distracting," yeah?)
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Retro, That wear pattern is very interesting to me because it tells me why my O Kona tenor `uke was built the way it is. It is, now, obviously a "strummer". It has 2 clear pickguards where yours is worn and its fretboard is actually bent down from the 14th fret to the sound hole. This makes lots of clearance for the strings so you don't whack into the wood. Funny how clarifying evidence sometimes turns up.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000