Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kamae film premiere
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  07:07:13 AM  Show Profile
Eddie & Myrna Kamae's next film -- "Lahaina: Waves of Change" -- is having its premiere...finally!

27th Annual Louis Vuitton Hawai‘i International Film Festival presents:
Eddie & Myrna Kamae's LAHAINA: WAVES OF CHANGE
with concert by the SONS OF HAWAI'I
Friday, October 19
Castle Theater, 7:30 pm
Journey with the Kamae's as they take you on adocumentary through Lahaina's past, followed by Q&A with the filmmakers and music with a rare appearance by the Sons of Hawai'i.
"E ho'oka'ana like kakou - Let the sharing begin!"
Tickets: $15
Call 808-244-SHOW

Watch the film's "trailer" here (it comes up after the commercial...wait!):
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071010/VIDEO01/71008006/1076/LIFE

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  08:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria - thank you for sharing this with us. Do you know if the film will be offered for sale to the public? Nothing on the Hawaiian Legacy Foundation web site about it.

His films are very precious.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  12:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Doubtful -- but with the Kamae's, anything is possible!

I'll be with them at the premiere and will ask. I know they had been wanting to build the foundation's $$ reserve specifically to have their earlier films converted to DVD format (not an easy process, according to Myrna), and they got distracted with this new Lahaina project. Eddie's still working on one or two other film projects...and there's a new Sons of Hawai`i CD due for release before year end, too. Where do they find the time for all this stuff????

Hopefully they'll squeeze out a DVD or two next year...

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  2:34:52 PM  Show Profile
I would even be happy with VHS. Don't forget folks, you can contribute $$$ to help fund conversion to DVD and help defray the costs of documenting the histories that are told so well in the films. www.hawaiianlegacy.com

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/11/2007 2:35:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Aunti Marie,

Do you know when the film will be showing on Oahu?

wcerto I am still waiting to buy keepers of the flame. I asked him when I would be able to buy it and he said he is just so busy he does know when he can get it to the dvd stage, that was 2 years ago. I think he just keeps moving to the next film, the next tour schedule. Keepers of the flame is very special though and I really think it belongs in the schools in Hawaii, certainly the library.

Thanks will check his sight too.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  09:01:05 AM  Show Profile
The Maui premiere was wonderful! The audience included many kupuna who had come all the way to Kahului from Lahaina (one aunty told me they'd arrived at 5:30 for the 7pm show "to make sure we got good seats").

Although the film marks a sad time for many (the closing of Pioneer Mill), it manages to be a joyous telling of the many tales of Lahaina's history -- filled with great interviews of some of Lahaina's most colorful kupuna. Mrs. Hasegawa -- who will be 100 next year -- still is the official issuer of marriage licenses for the town (can you believe it??), and is one feisty kupuna. Eddie promised that he will perform at her 100th birthday party, for sure.

As for whether or not this film will go straight to DVD for public sale, that decision is yet to be made. But Myrna told me that they are seriously considering it -- releasing it without all the "bells and whistles" (menu, etc.), so that Lahaina folks may enjoy it NOW.

Ginny, the film was shown at Sunset on the Beach last weekend. Hope you got to see it?

Watch the Kamae's website for updates about this, and all of their other projects:
http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000