Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aia i 'Alika...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  12:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai kakou,

I recently heard on the news that "there in the Arctic," the ice cap is shrinking. I was wondering if anybody out there has an opinion on how we can all kokua.

Mahalo nui loa!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  5:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Gotta stop the global warming...complex subject, many ways to stop it and reduce carbon usage and ozone depleting substances; greenhouse gases. People can do plenty, but collectively, it is a drop in the bucket compared to what industrial sources do. Industrial solvents, cleaners, degreasers, lacquers, lacquer thinners, plating solutions; aerosols; paints, primers, vinylization, dry cleaning solutions; rubber making and on and on and on.

Fine line between makiing things economical, keeping industry going so folks have jobs and malama `aina.

Best advice is: a)thoroughly research the topic; b) find ways you personally can change the way you live to malama `aina. c)monitor legislation and write your politicians.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Global warming is an important issue, but much more complicated than simply ice caps shrinking. We already know that the ice caps go through cycles, just like the frequency of tropical hurricanes and such. The increase in the frequency of the shrinking ice caps and the increase in frequency of hurricanes are undoubtedly influenced by us humans, but to what degree remains to be seen. Unfortunately, the media likes to publicize and cause overreactions of the general public. I agree with Wanda, all we can do is fo malama ka `aina. jus do wat we can. Dis issue not goin go away anytime soon, especially wit China's and da US's pollution continuing. Even from my (a chemist's) perspectives, dis issue is sooooo big, reaching across choke fields.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
It's just plain common sense to take care of your home. However, not sure that all the "warming" is directly related to our transgressions or just, at least in part, due to the natural cycles of the earth. I do see some positives though (not to say we should keep polluting). During the ice age, it would have been brutal to live where there are now flourishing populations. Populations can now inhabit northern areas without being buried in snow all year. Crops can be grown in areas that were, in the past, far too extreme in terms of climate. The earth has been on a gradual warming trend since the ice age...if it hadn't, we'd all still be sqeezed into a little band of warmth around the middle of this planet.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Hey guys,

Mahalo nui loa for all your advice.

Now, here's the next comment. Please let me know if you think I should change the subject of this topic. I originally put that line there as something for people who knew the song to laugh about. However, I realize that not everybody on here knows that song or knows what the line means. Please let me know, and I'll be happy to change it if necessary.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000