Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Elvis statue at the Blaisdell Arena
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  02:10:48 AM  Show Profile
There is an article in this month's Hawai`i Magazine regarding a life sized Elvis bronze statue which was unveiled in July at the Neil S. Blaisdell arena. It was done by "TV Land". Can watch the unveiling here: http://www.tvland.com/specials/elvis/landmark.jhtml

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Appropriate? Inappropriate?

What does Elvis have to do with Hawai`i other than making lots of money? Perhaps that statue should have more to do with fundraising efforts for the Arizona Memorial?

Could a more appropriate musician have been honored in bronze at the Blaisdell? Native Hawaiian? Traditional music? Not even a musician at all? No statue at all?

Please share your thoughts.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I could never stand him. Maybe a bronze statue at Graceland but I've never been impressed by him.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  6:51:46 PM  Show Profile
I guess I am not certain how to properly frame the issue I would like to discuss. I do not mean to discuss this statue in Hawai`i as a badge of popularity or whether someone personally has or has not affection or affinity for the man, rather the more specific issue of letting a TV station place a statue at an entertainment arena. I was thinking when I first read the article that I was kinda outraged at the "tackiness" of it because, no matter whether Elvis went there and liked Hawai`i or whether he filmed movies there, he was not a Hawaiian. Since then I noticed statues while I was out and about today. Besides the ubiquitous civil war general, there is a Hungarian freedom fighter, a Polish freedom fighter and a Beethoven statues within a few miles of here, and they were certainly not Cleveland-area folks. So I guess perhaps I shouldn't feel uncomfortable about the Elvis statue????? But I do though. Something about it just seems wrong and more of a publicity stunt than a way to honor the man for his ....well, whatever reason they felt it was worth putting a statue up about. But it seemed like the city was happy about it since they sent the mayor.

Does it make it OK because they had an `oli? I had great difficulty following the words to the `oli...my brain doesn't think in Hawaiian that fast...so I am uncertain of what they were saying.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000