Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 E Ku U Morning Dew
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WWXAfFBA8
I stumbled across this tutorial of E Ku U Morning Dew. I haven't tried to play it yet, I figured if I don't post it, I'll forget where I found it.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

Nice as far as it goes, but he doesn't know the song well enuf to teach it. He gives you part of the melody, and then he says "You basically repeat it over and over."

That is not true -- like many songs, "Morning Dew" (thanks, Lawrence, for the correct name) has a melody strain that repeats once (sorta), but then it has a phrase that wraps it up. Listen to any recording of the song, and you will hear the proper melody.

As with many of the lessons I've found on YouTube, Caveat Ukester.

(Disclaimer: This song is in my "Learn to PLay Fingerstyle `Ukulele" book; in two different arrangements. Naturally the publisher secured permission and paid royalities to Eddie Kamae for its use. Something that doesn't happen with YouTube...)

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Hi -

Nice as far as it goes, but he doesn't know the song well enuf to teach it. He gives you part of the melody, and then he says "You basically repeat it over and over."

That is not true -- like many songs, "Morning Dew" (thanks, Lawrence, for the correct name) has a melody strain that repeats once (sorta), but then it has a phrase that wraps it up. Listen to any recording of the song, and you will hear the proper melody.

Thanks for pointing out this important distinction. I have been bothered for some time now by a version of this song by Keola Beamer (from the Moe`uhane Kika CD) in which he made the creative decision not to play the complete melody. The complete melody is essentially 16 bars in four-bar blocks - hence, the repetition referred to. But Keola plays the first eight bars - the first two "chunks" - and then jumps to the last four bars - the wrap-up "chunk" you describe. I wonder why he did this.

Keola is among my top three favorite slack key artists. But I must admit I always skip this tune when it comes on the iPod because it throws my equilibrium out of whack to hear a tune I know so well with a huge part of it missing.

Anybody else ever notice this?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  09:02:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Anybody else ever notice this?

Even with the musical section missing Keola's arrangement of "Morning Dew" is far from traditional. Try to sing the words to the parts he does play and you will find it very hard. He clearly changes the phrasing as well as the melodic sections. Of course, he is doing this on purpose! (IMHO).

I listen to the piece the same way I listen to John Coltrane doing "My Favorite Things". You cannot sing like Julie Andrews at all to John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" (except in some sections), but few would argue that it is not a compelling piece of work nonetheless! (And, if you pay me enough, I promise not to try to sing like Julie Andrews)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/16/2007 09:08:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  10:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
(And, if you pay me enough, I promise not to try to sing like Julie Andrews)

So how much to get you to try? And will you post the audio file online?

I'd give a lot to hear Julie Andrews try to sing along with Trane. That's one of my desert island discs...
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  11:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mark,

Is that Trane's, My Favorite Things, or Andrews, The Sound of Music?

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Larry... I think he means Julie singing along to Coltrane in this case.

quote:
so how much to get you to try?
A lot!

quote:
And will you post the audio file online?
Not likely!

Be warned though, I have been tooling-up my Leo Ki'eki'e. Last year, in Richard Ho'opi'i's workshop class, he and I sang a duet of Kupa Landing. I think it surprised some folks who were there at the time, but I don't think it killed too many (at least, of those outside of the 500 meter blast zone). Kinda-hard though, to get that slightly British "Julie A" sound just right. I have to work on it in my spare time.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/17/2007 12:01:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  1:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Is that Trane's, My Favorite Things, or Andrews, The Sound of Music?

Ethel Merman Sings Monk
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  2:02:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Ethel Merman Sings Monk
Wouldn't that qualify as Thelonius Assault??

And isn't this:

http://www.317x.com/albums/m/ethelmerman/card.html

....what finally killed off Disco??

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/17/2007 2:02:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page