Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 new project for the NW Hi Times
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pekelo
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pekelo's Homepage
Aloha Kakou
I write an ‘ukulele column ( www.seattleukulele.org/lessons ) for the Northwest Hawaii Times http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/index.htm

The hard copy of this monthly publication is distributed throughout the Northwest. Each lesson features an MP3 audio file that corresponds with the printed music. I’d like to know if anyone is interested in helping out to do some recordings. It would be similar to recordings the group made for the Taropatch.net 2005 Slack key Guitar Collection that was produced and compiled by hapakid.

It may be helpful if those interested can read music notation. Examples are on the www.seattleukulele.org/lessons site. One of the purposes of this /lessons site is for beginners to play along to the MP3 audio file while learning Hawaiian songs.

Chords are always given so that folks can play on their guitar or ‘ukulele. I prefer to stay in the traditional Hawaiian songs as they have a higher probability of being more familiar. I’ll still write out the notation for the mele and email it to the person who will be recording it.

In about 2 more lessons, I’ll be finished with the current series where I’m taking a trip around the islands and playing a mele from each island. After this series, I’ll be looking for more songs to do for the column.

What would work out best – is eventually getting to where a small pool would be formed so that folks can take turns sending in their recording for the next lesson (of course, I’ll be part of this pool too).

A requirement would be that folks have at least some decent recording equipment – similar to what they recorded with for the Taropatch.net 2005 Slack key Guitar CD.

If folks are interested, then we’ll try a bunch of mele on a trial basis & see how things go. I’ll be open to trying a variety of versions: folks can send in recordings of guitar (slack is fine too!) only or ‘ukulele only or vocals will always be welcome too. (please have a decent voice if you want to sing !!) hint hint – that’s why its much easier for me to change from playing a guitar (sometimes slack) version and an ‘ukulele version as heard on the www.seattleukulele.org/lessons site.

If there is more than one person who wants to record a mele, then I’ll have to pick only one of the recordings. Arrangements should not be too long – I typically record only up to 2 verses.
The contributor will get credited on the web version of the ‘ukulele column.

This is a free paper and since this uke column is also more educational in nature, it falls within the limits of the Fair Use Section 107, 1976 Copyright Act.
Please email me at kikaman @ yahoo.com if interested.
Mahalo nui loa for your consideration,
Pekelo

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Count me in!
I would be careful about claiming fair use under copyright law, though, because by publishing the entire song, in audio or written form, for anyone on the 'net or who picks up the paper, you're treading on the line, if not stepping over it. But if we stick to classics and make our own arrangements we should be fine.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  3:39:39 PM  Show Profile
I echo Jesse's sentiments. Claiming "educational use" could be stretching it a bit, particularly if you are not an educational institution. It doesn't matter if it is a non-profit or not. You'd be safer with copyrighted material to get permission from the composer/copyright holder, or as Jesse suggests, stick with something that is in the public domain. Wonderful idea, just tread carefully and respectfully of composers.
Go to Top of Page

pekelo
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  4:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit pekelo's Homepage
Yes, actually for a bunch of the mele that I've already published thru the paper, I have gotten
permission in writing & since they take so long, I've gotten permission already for
some songs that I've been planning for.
Mahalo!

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  03:42:56 AM  Show Profile
I can't read music, but can struggle with tab. Let me know if I can help.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  10:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
HI Pekelo -

What a great idea! I'd be happy to help out -- I've got a decent home studio, too. And I promise I won't sing.

I listened to Koni Au i ka Wai -- very nice guitar and `ukulele playing.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  3:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha no, pehea e Pekelo. Whatever I might be able to contribute. email me from my profile. I see you have ab impressive lesson plan for uke. I like talk story with you. believe I met you at the Ballard session last month.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Peter!

I can take a stab at it, if you'd like. I don't have the best recording equipment, nor is my tab-reading anywhere near where it should be, but I can certainly give it a whirl for you, ok? Maybe I can get the gang down here to maybe test drive this out, too. Just let me know what we need to do, ok?

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000