Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Barefoot Natives new CD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Hows about a review of the Barefoot Natives new CD. I don't want to buy it unreviewed.

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile
IMHO, this CD is great -- a mix of island contemporary, traditional Hawaiian, and contemporary from two very talented musicians. Wayne Harada (Honolulu Advertiser) gave it a glowing review in his Friday column:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071026/ENT0301/710260309/1130/ENT0301

His final statement was:
Our take: Go Barefoot — you'll love it.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile
I like that I can pre-order from Auntie and the new stuff will be zooming on its way to me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  3:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Gonna do something I rarely do - post my "Northwest Hawai`i Times" review before the paper hits the streets. This will be in the November issue (which Bubba won't be able to get in Des Moines - my childhood stomping grounds - until it's on the web in early December.)

Willie K and Eric Gilliom - these are two men with a sense of the silly, at least when it comes to their promotional materials, web sites and album designs. Yet the quality of composition and musicianship is, while imbued with plenty of fun, of the highest standards. Ever since these two teamed up for their self-titled debut disc last year, they’ve not been out of the spotlight, winning awards, touring and playing regular gigs (not only on their own, but as members of Mick Fleetwood’s Island Rumours band.)

New, original compositions make up the majority of the album, starting with a song that is as welcoming musically as it is lyrically, “E Komo Mai.” The remainder of the selections range from party pieces and Jawaiian-influenced love songs to songs about junker cars, roadside huli huli chicken fundraisers (makes my mouth water when I hear it), a traditional Cook Islands piece, and some live tracks.

Two talented musicmakers – their pairing seems to bringing out much of their best work in a while. A great follow-up to what was a mighty strong launch, it won’t disappoint their fans.

Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
If it's half as good as their first one, it's worth buying. I just love that CD. Two obviously talented individuals that have made it even better by joining forces.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  1:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I really like "Kiho`alu Man". I saw/heard Willie do this on the DVD "Songs of Aloha" (from Auntie Maria http://www.mele.com/video/artist/amy+hanaiali%60i+gilliom+%26+willie+k./hawai%60i%2C+songs+of+aloha+-+dvd/ ).

Gave me chicken skin, plus it was then I realized what a swell guitar picker and entertainer that Willie is. He has way more talent in his pinky finger than I could ever dream of having. He is a rennaisance man.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  5:51:28 PM  Show Profile
The Mele man brought this new Barefoot Natives CD to our house today. It is certainly a change from what we have been listening to. There is some rockin' and a rollin' and some reggae kine and some good old fashioned Hawaiian music. Most of the songs have Willie K.'s name attached and they are all good. One I thought was a Bob Marley song, but it was Uncle Willie through & through, called "Cool Day". Some fun songs - Hulhuli Chicken; Maui Cruiser. The last, Slack Key Circus is an absolutely beautiful nahenahe instrumental.

This CD demonstrates the versatility of Willie and Eric and will definitely liven up things around your house.

Somehow I think these are two kolohe buggahs. And I thank them for it.

This one is a winner.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Honopo
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
The new album is great. Their first album is slightly better overall, but this one will be on my Zune in heavy rotation for a long long time. I wish their show that they are doing at the Lahaina Theater would be put on DVD for us mainlanders.

on another note, not to thread jack, but I just gotta tell this one in a Barefoot Natives thread where people that appreciate their music will see:

Do you believe in destiny? Do you believe that there is one moment in your life where everything clicks into place and you "get it", changing your life forever. This moment happened to me a few years ago. Over a 6 month period, all the puzzle pieces that I have been throwing up into the air all fell into place. I mention this because a trip to Maui was the start to this chain reaction, and on a beautiful Thursday evening, I went to see Eric and Barry Flanagan at Mulligan's on the Blue and heard Back to Honopo for the first time. It because the soundtrack for this journey. I didn't know it at first, but once the journey was complete, I realized how fitting that song was. I may not have had anything to do with the journey, it is just a song, but it is just strange how that very song fell into place just like all the other pieces.

going "barefoot" in the midwest,

Bry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000