Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I like this song and would like to know what everybody else on here thinks of it. Although I don't really like it when people use what I like to call Hawaiian jibberish in songs so that people over here on the mainland think that the words are actual Hawaiian words, I think it's a catchy tune and enjoyable to listen to and sing along with.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  5:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I think I have it by Leon & Malia. It's a funny song. Big name for a little fish!!

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
You mean this song?

http://www.huapala.org/Hula/Humunukuapua.html

It's by Auntie Irmgard contains no jibberish as far as I can see.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Or do you mean "I Want to Go Back to My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawai'i"? As far as I can tell, the fragments of Hawaiian are real enough--not that there's a lot beyond "Komo mai no ka`ua i ka hale welakahao."

Personally, I like that song, though musically it's more Tin Pan Alley than roots-Hawaiian. There's a wonderful, swinging version on the Waikiki compilation "Best of Hawaiian Slack Key with Gabby Pahinui" (originally, I think, from the LP "In Hawaii the Story Starts") on which the players are clearly having a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  8:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hear some taropatchers work out on "Little Grass Shack" at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=38765&songID=1667417

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  02:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
I don't think `Alika is referring to "Little Grass Shack" or Auntie Irmgard's "Humuhumunukunukuapua`a" song. As `Alika speaks Hawaiian, I think she would know "jibberish" when she hears it.

So, `Alika, what song ARE you talking about it? Might we have a link to it?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  02:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
None of the songs you speak of are the ones I was referring to. I mean the bonus track on the High School Musical 2 soundtrack. You can listen to it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLAe1stnLw

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  02:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - Kona Bob and the rest of those guys were pretty darn swell. Who da odda guy playing steel? "Bill" somebody? Ha-ha. I think the steel guitar interlude was most excellent.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Wanda,
The "Little Grass Shack" on the Soundclick page came from George K's 2004 camp. It's from the nightly kanikapila session and recorded and produced by Lawrence. It includes Michael (I don't think he posts here), Konabob, Kane Kapila and a small contribution from Bob Brozman. I'm sure there are other uncredited guitarists among the group.
'Alika,
Most of us Taropatchers are a little outside the target demographic for HSM2! The song is kind of lame, but I would guess this is no different from "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" or "Wiki Wacky Woo". Is there something in the story that makes this song part of the storyline?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile
I must compliment Lawrence on the quality of the recording. Most excellent.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  08:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Wakawaka waka niki pupu pu?

Sounds like the lyricist spent too much time boozing with Fozzie Bear.

Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Mark, that's hilarious! And so true.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

'Alika,
Most of us Taropatchers are a little outside the target demographic for HSM2! The song is kind of lame, but I would guess this is no different from "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" or "Wiki Wacky Woo". Is there something in the story that makes this song part of the storyline?
Jesse Tinsley

Not really, although I do think that Ryan and Shaarpay were going to do it in the summer talent show, but it wasn't shown in the actual movie.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Who is Fozzie Bear? Sounds like an old cartoon to me.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:

Who is Fozzie Bear? Sounds like an old cartoon to me.

Ah, youth. Wocka, wocka...

(`Alika, Fozzie was a muppet - a creation of Jim Henson.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  1:05:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't even KNOW what this High School Musical is, although I do know that it has provided a career for my youngest daughter. Meri has a degree from Kent State in Theater technology with an emphasis on costuming, makeup and wigs. She is traveling with "High School Musical on Ice" -- (Lord, what were they thinking of). She is with the East Coast crew traveling all over this side of the country, tailoring costumes, repairing, laundering and dressing/undressing the performers. She has been to Orlando, Nashville, Knoxville, all over Virginia, Atlanta, Baltimore, and will soon be heading up the east coast. She will be going to Mexico right before Christmas for a couple or three weeks. Ice skating in Mexico City -- sheesh.

But what a way for a young girl to see the world.

She says not much about the production other than there are lots of screaming pre-teens at the shows.

`Alika -- your education is sorely lacking if you do not know Fozzie Bear and his cohorts. Surely you know Kermit and the love of his life (if she has anything to do with it), Miss Piggy. And Rowlf and Animal and the Swedish Chef and Beaker and on and on. There are many lessons to be taught by the Muppets. See if you can find videos of the old Muppet Shows. Oh, how great they were.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000