Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  2:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Wakawaka waka niki pupu pu?

Sounds like the lyricist spent too much time boozing with Fozzie Bear.

Who is Fozzie Bear? Sounds like an old cartoon to me.

Ah, youth. Wocka, wocka...

(`Alika, Fozzie was a muppet - a creation of Jim Henson.)

How could I forget that? Lolo loa au!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  7:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little annoyed by the HSM2 song, but I'm just a mainland haole so maybe I've no right to be. Just another example of outside culture trivializing Hawaiian language and culture, turning it into something wacky and comedic, making it easier to reduce its power and push aside or put into a museum. Just about every culture makes fun of how other cultures and languages act and sound. Yeah, sure it's funny but it can be dangerous, and it's also particularly poor humanity IMHO when the object of "comedic attack" (i.e. derision) has so often gotten the short end of the stick.
If this type of cultural appropriation weren't so pervasive (and therefore, in my opinion, powerful), and if I thought there was a secure record of native Hawaiian culture being at least on equal footing in Hawaii, it would be easier for me to have some sense of humor about it. Is one of these emoticons a stink-eye? :-)

Edited by - pukaua on 10/28/2007 7:19:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

I like this song and would like to know what everybody else on here thinks of it. Although I don't really like it when people use what I like to call Hawaiian jibberish in songs so that people over here on the mainland think that the words are actual Hawaiian words, I think it's a catchy tune and enjoyable to listen to and sing along with.

Not really to my taste.

Some of the "Hawaiian gibberish" songs I do like - but what I like about them is that there are some kind of cute puns when you listen in English, and if you do try to translate them, to me, they come out really funny. Writing good gibberish, like writing good satire, IMO, takes a LOT of skill!

For example, the imagery in Malihini Mele is just cracks me up! http://www.huapala.org/Malihini_Mele.html

When you think about it, this actually makes sense!

Pretty soon by the light of the tropical moon
A malihini did appear
And he strolled hand in hand
On the beautiful sand with a lovely pilikia

And this line conjures up some pretty hilarous imagery:

I played a tune
On my sweet okolehao

Same thing with Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian.

But when the gibberish really is gibberish, I just get a sense that the writer was lazy.

But then, I'm a pedantic logophile.

Write on!
Leilehua

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  02:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

quote:

I like this song and would like to know what everybody else on here thinks of it. Although I don't really like it when people use what I like to call Hawaiian jibberish in songs so that people over here on the mainland think that the words are actual Hawaiian words, I think it's a catchy tune and enjoyable to listen to and sing along with.

Some of the "Hawaiian gibberish" songs I do like - but what I like about them is that there are some kind of cute puns when you listen in English, and if you do try to translate them, to me, they come out really funny. Writing good gibberish, like writing good satire, IMO, takes a LOT of skill!

For example, the imagery in Malihini Mele is just cracks me up! http://www.huapala.org/Malihini_Mele.html

When you think about it, this actually makes sense!

Pretty soon by the light of the tropical moon
A malihini did appear
And he strolled hand in hand
On the beautiful sand with a lovely pilikia

And this line conjures up some pretty hilarous imagery:

I played a tune
On my sweet okolehao

Agreed! And funnier still is inserting the satiric English equivalents for the Hawaiian. Danny Kaleikini used to do this and it was a laugh riot!

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  03:58:32 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Pukaua, I get what you are saying. I used to get very upset at all the West Virginia hillbilly jokes. I guess what the flatlanders didn't realize, but the hillbillies had flatlander jokes as well. People make jokes about those not in their "group". Like blonde and lawyer jokes and especially here in Cleveland, Polish jokes. Now around here they are called "certain ethnic" jokes.

Leilehua - I guess some of those songs are like Spike Jones/Ishkabibble stuff from back in the 30's/40's. Mairzey Doats, etc.

Paul prides himself in singing "goofy" songs, such as "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati", "You Stole my Wife , You Horse Thief", "Five Pounds of Possum in My Headlights Tonight", but not pure gibberish.

I was just listening to an interview on the Today show this morning. Merideth Rivera was interviewing Sting, who has just released a book of the stories behind his songs. He told her that his music is not poety, that modern music is by no means poetry. He said that modern music has words that are written simply to fit with the music and to be sung, not to be poetic. Interesting take on it. What drew me to Hawaiian music was the poetry of it; the imagery and the kaona. What appears to be so simple is in reality so complex.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I don't even KNOW what this High School Musical is, although I do know that it has provided a career for my youngest daughter. Meri has a degree from Kent State in Theater technology with an emphasis on costuming, makeup and wigs. She is traveling with "High School Musical on Ice" -- (Lord, what were they thinking of). She is with the East Coast crew traveling all over this side of the country, tailoring costumes, repairing, laundering and dressing/undressing the performers. She has been to Orlando, Nashville, Knoxville, all over Virginia, Atlanta, Baltimore, and will soon be heading up the east coast. She will be going to Mexico right before Christmas for a couple or three weeks. Ice skating in Mexico City -- sheesh.

But what a way for a young girl to see the world.

She says not much about the production other than there are lots of screaming pre-teens at the shows.

`Alika -- your education is sorely lacking if you do not know Fozzie Bear and his cohorts. Surely you know Kermit and the love of his life (if she has anything to do with it), Miss Piggy. And Rowlf and Animal and the Swedish Chef and Beaker and on and on. There are many lessons to be taught by the Muppets. See if you can find videos of the old Muppet Shows. Oh, how great they were.

Hiki e Wanda. Sorry to get off topic, but I'd like to know the Hawaiian version of Rainbow Connection. Wonder if it's yet another bad interpretation in Hawaiians' minds. I'm just saying that because I know that songs don't always translate well.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Hiki e Wanda. Sorry to get off topic, but I'd like to know the Hawaiian version of Rainbow Connection. Wonder if it's yet another bad interpretation in Hawaiians' minds. I'm just saying that because I know that songs don't always translate well.

Aloha e `Alika -

This is the first time I've heard it, and I am entranced. I think they did a lovely job of translating, managing to pull off a blend of translating the literal meaning while retaining the poetry and tender feeling of the song.

Try listening to it and reading the English at the same time. I find the flow reminiscent of the Hawaiian operatic pieces.

Download: http://www.rhapsody.com/thebrotherscazimero
English lyrics: http://www.lyricsdownload.com/kermit-the-frog-the-rainbow-connection-lyrics.html

I especially love their Hawaiian poetry for this verse:

"What's so amazing
That keeps us star gazing
What do we think we might see"

"He kamahao
Na ke kilolani
Iho `ike ai na ailona"

I think the intrinsic wonderment in the song lends itself very well to the Hawaiian sense of connection to cosmos, and for me, the above phrase captures much fo the feel of the song.

I love how the Hawaiian poetry frames the phrase as seeking signs in the heavens.

A headzup for hula dancers: Choreograph to the two versions separately! They are not word-for-word, and if you dance one choreography to both languages, one hula will be a bit odd in places!

Mahalo for posting your question. I never would have known about this song otherwise!

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Was talking to my daughter, the Disney n Ice girlie yesterday about High School Musical and the Humuhumunukunukuapua`a song. She is incensed about it (she has always had a strong sense of social justic, even when she was wee little). She said even those (her co-workers) who know absolutely nothing about Hawai`i and culture and being pono feel that it is demeaning to Hawaiian culture and is making fun out of someone's culture. She also said that they don't even pronounce it correctly when doing the song in the show.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  12:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

quote:

Aloha e `Alika -

This is the first time I've heard it, and I am entranced. I think they did a lovely job of translating, managing to pull off a blend of translating the literal meaning while retaining the poetry and tender feeling of the song.

Try listening to it and reading the English at the same time. I find the flow reminiscent of the Hawaiian operatic pieces.

Download: http://www.rhapsody.com/thebrotherscazimero
English lyrics: http://www.lyricsdownload.com/kermit-the-frog-the-rainbow-connection-lyrics.html

I especially love their Hawaiian poetry for this verse:

"What's so amazing
That keeps us star gazing
What do we think we might see"

"He kamahao
Na ke kilolani
Iho `ike ai na ailona"

I think the intrinsic wonderment in the song lends itself very well to the Hawaiian sense of connection to cosmos, and for me, the above phrase captures much fo the feel of the song.

I love how the Hawaiian poetry frames the phrase as seeking signs in the heavens.

A headzup for hula dancers: Choreograph to the two versions separately! They are not word-for-word, and if you dance one choreography to both languages, one hula will be a bit odd in places!

Mahalo for posting your question. I never would have known about this song otherwise!

Malama pono,
Leilehua

What album is it on?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  12:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Was talking to my daughter, the Disney n Ice girlie yesterday about High School Musical and the Humuhumunukunukuapua`a song. She is incensed about it (she has always had a strong sense of social justic, even when she was wee little). She said even those (her co-workers) who know absolutely nothing about Hawai`i and culture and being pono feel that it is demeaning to Hawaiian culture and is making fun out of someone's culture. She also said that they don't even pronounce it correctly when doing the song in the show.

I just looked at the lyrics again after reading your last post in this topic. Not only do they not pronounce their w's like v's and some of their vowels correctly, but "makihiki" and "malahini" are spelled incorrectly.

makahiki = year
malihini = visitor, newcomer

And, I don't think that those were conveying a meaning at all. Try translating: Year visotor who? What would that mean? Anything?

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 11/03/2007 12:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  2:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

[quote]I just looked at the lyrics again after reading your last post in this topic. Not only do they not pronounce their w's like v's and some of their vowels correctly, but "makihiki" and "malahini" are spelled incorrectly.

makahiki = year
malihini = visitor, newcomer

And, I don't think that those were conveying a meaning at all. Try translating: Year visotor who? What would that mean? Anything?

Personally, the w/v thing dosen't bother me as my grandfather was a native Speaker, born on Kaua`i, and he did not use the "v" sound very often.

He said:

au, not au
wahine, not ahine
Hawai`i, not Haai`i

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Oops. I forgot, I can't make those symbols. Translate the little frownie face to a "v."

Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
What album is it on?
I have no idea. I got the link from here.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Hiki mai.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000