Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 string search starting point
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile
After spending a couple hours searching the TP archives as well as google etc, I hope someone here has a suggestion for me.
I have a 1973 Takamine F340 with a laminated spruce top. Based on archived threads I have started expermenting with different strings to try and get the best tone I can. (I know, I know, buy a solid top...I need to play for another year or two before I start shopping for a more serious guitar. I was given this one new as a teen and, despite the laminated top, it has a wonderful sound, I just want to optimize it.)

I currently have Elixir PB nano lights on it and will try the same in light/medium in a couple of weeks.

I am wondering if there is a general rule about strings for a laminated top that could point me toward a starting point on string gauge or type so that my search can be narrowed somewhat.

So far, light gauge sounds great except the harmonics are tough to get clear and the bass end is a bit soft.

thanks for any suggestions

Dave

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  06:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Paul uses D'Addario extra light gauge on his 12-string. They sound lovely when new.

Reminder...maybe you guys who play guitar do not notice, but I bet your audiences will...change guitar strings frequently, please.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:58:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Paul uses D'Addario extra light gauge on his 12-string. They sound lovely when new.

W
Thanks for the info. but I don't really want to start another thread of "my favorite strings" since that has been done here many times and it appears to be specific to each guitar and player, I am looking more for a generalized answer to where to start a search for optimized strings for a less flexible, laminated top guitar. If such a generalization is possible.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Try looking at string makers' web sites. At least one has a chart showing the relative brigtness of their own various strings. If you want more bass, go away from bright, etc. It will come down to your ears in the end, unless that old buggaboo, economics, rears his head.As to the solid top argument, a well-made laminate may sound pretty good, though never as good as the solid tops. Economics may play a greater role here, expensive tots just aren't affordable or readily justifiable for some of us. But some day.....
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000