Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Tab Software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
I am going to buy Tab software soon.
So far I have tried demo's of Tabledit, Musedit, and Guitar Pro 5.

Musedit was good except I didn't like the hammer/pull off notation.
Tabledit would not come back to fill in a deleted note.
Guitar Pro has good sound and will back up when you delete a note behind the others. So, I am thinking of buying Guitar Pro.

If anyone know of problems with GP5 I would appreciate getting the input.
Are there better programs out there for around $80 or less?

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 10/06/2007 06:33:15 AM

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  07:16:49 AM  Show Profile
BTW, I am considering Musedit as well. I was mistaken about a few things on my first eval.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  08:11:40 AM  Show Profile
I use Museedit and like it. Their customer support is very good, and they keep updating the program based upon feedback.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  10:06:10 AM  Show Profile
What about PowerTabs? I used to use it before. It was pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile
I got Sibelis G7 for Christmas last year (it was under $100 from the local Guitar supermart). It prefer it over any of the others. I really like the way it prints out and the files are compatible with the full version of Sibelius which many professional music directors and musicians use.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  3:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I downloaded the trial version of Musedit, and Man, is it ugly! It is is as if it were designed for Win 3.1. You like to look at dot matrix characters on your screen? No wonder it works with all versions Of Win. The Human factors are just lousy - and I thought Powertab was bad. The floating fretboard and keyboard are totally unnecessary ( since tab is a rep of a fretboard) and get in the way until you shut them off. There was no way I could easily find the tuning library. The Help files simply told me about the concepts of music rather than telling me how to use the program. I could tell you more, but it is boring.

Tomorrow it is Uninstall.

YMMV,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  3:58:58 PM  Show Profile
G7,

dog
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Musedit Looks like it is a very full featured program but it is not intuitive to me. It looks like if you spend the time, it will do everything.
But, so far--and heaven help me cause I am deciding in a hurry--I am able to work with Guitar pro 5 very quickly, though It appears to a bit light on options. At this point the options are the ones I have needed. Later I may be disappointed and find its weaknesses, but I may take a chance on it.
Another one that looks very clean and easy is Sibelius G7 but I cannot find out how to set it for open tuning. I am going to ask mika ele in a just a few minutes.

I am trying to make significant progress in tabbing an arrangement by tomorrow.
And thanks for the input everyone.
I have needed it for sure.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 10/06/2007 4:18:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
BTW
Since trying to tab my firs arrangement, I am learning so much about timing and the chords I am play that I should have done thist way sooner.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Bob,
I assume you found the easy way to change tunings with the tab. One of the things I really like (available in other programs but not as clean and straight-forward) -- is the ability to take a tab you have created, copy a section (say eight bars) and modulate that section up to the third or fifth of the key (transpose the key) and watch your fingering for that tuning automatically shift to the easiest way to play that section -- nice for the final run through the chorus of a song before the "outro".

Also, you can take the entire tablature (keeping the notation the same) and change the tuning to see if the fingering is easier or harder in that new tuning.

Although I don't play intricate sections and sing well at the same time, I find singing in G Major difficult if the melody is mostly at the high end of the scale. Sometimes it is easier to sing the song in the key of C Major. So now the questions is which C Tuning would work the best for that song. I can try C6 Mauna Loa and look at the fingering, try Keola's C and try the fingering, try Leonard's C, or even Gabby's C. It is really kind neat to find out that certain melodies really work themselves out in one tuning. Doing this in G7 is a "piece of cake".

Also, try the "handwritten" font for your Lead Sheets. It really comes out nice and clean it is a snap for older eyes to read.

When you have G7 playback the tabbed out song, under "Performance", you can select the rhythmic beat from straight 4/4 to heavy swing, rock , funk, samba -- you name it. Then, when I have an arrangement tabbed out that sounds good, I save the song as two audio tracks with the perfromance tempo I want and also a "practice" tempo at about 60% of performance. These are saved as "*.wav" files which I then import and convert to mp3 in my iPod.

Now I have an iPod version of the tablature that I can listen to with my earphones, and the printed tablature. Trying to learn this new song takes about 20% of the time it used to. Plus I now have a historical record of this song for that time two years from now when I haven't played the song for 18 months and I want to put it back in my repetoire.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000