Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 I got Plek'd
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
This Saturady at Music Gallery,Highland Park, IL, I finally got a guitar Plek'd. It was expensive for me because I had to have all my fret ends glued down first because they were loose. The Plek was approx $160. extra fret work and new strings brought it to $270 (gulp!) but my instrument is as good as it can get now. The action now is 1/16th (2/32) at the 6th string 12th fret--it was 3/32.

After watching the machine probe and trace each fret and fingerboard contour along the length of each string (under string tention btw), then graphing the fingerboard and fret height for each string location in .001 in increments, showing error againsts a corrective curve, it is hard to imagine that my frets are not perfect!

the Process:
-Guitar fret integrity checked first

-guitar tuned to a typical tuning (I used leonards C)and placed in the machine

- The machine traces each string path down the fretboard and bumps up over each fret. it actuatlly pushes the string aside so that i can get directly under where the string is. the readings are noted in graph and numeric form on the screen.

-The operator adjusts the conical angle (radius) and depth of cut to remove as little fret as possible while matching the cut to a perfect reference line. (my frets ended up at around .039-.043)

- The strings are slackend and moved out of the way.

-The machine remeasures the fret board and notes the change so that it can compensate for the released neck.

-It cuts the frets one a t a time in three passes each.

-the Guitar is once again tuned to the desired tuning

-the Machine goes back and measrues the results under tension and reports if it is as expected or not. If not, it does it again.

-Technician then polishes off small chatter marks from the machining and sets the action.

-It takes about two hours

-Done

Hope you enjoyed the info. My guitar does play easier now.

I thought it would be interesting to post a report for those that have only heard of a Plek machine.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 10/29/2007 08:41:14 AM

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey... Great Report!

I wonder if it can handle stainless steel frets as well as the traditional nickel alloy.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile
I would suspect that how it handles stainless depends on what the traditional nickel alloy is. Many stainless alloys are high nickel/chromium (Inconel, Hastalloy, Waspalloy, Rene 41). Are the fret wires that you call nickel alloy mostly nickel? If so, that would make them way soft and easily damaged seems to me and wouldn't make them suitable for fret wire IMHO. However, if they are steel with high nickel content, then they should machine pretty much the same way as stainless alloys unless the wire has been precipitation hardened or something, but then again, if it was, then the wire would not have very good ductility and couldn't be drawn.

Hey - thanks for the pictures Bob (notice I didn't call you Jesse this time)-- I've been a month now without hearing the sounds of a machine shop and smelling the coolant. Mmmmm..that is one of those smells I like (until the coolant gets old and needs to be changed, then, P-U.)

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the exact composition of either kind of fretwire
is not readily published. The nickel-silver seems to be 18%
nickel, sounds pretty soft to me! I am familiar with the four
digit numbering system for steel alloys such as:

http://www.pennsylvaniasteel.com/alloysteelcomparisionchart.htm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AISI_steel_grades

but I have been unable to ascertain the composition from fretwire sites:

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/fretwire.htm

Suffice to say that the stainless steel frets are very much harder
than the nickel-silver ones.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/29/2007 10:36:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence
I am going back to get my #2 guitar taht I left for intonation adjustment, on Saturday. I will ask about the stainless frets.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks a lot for posting that excellent illustrated report, Haole Boy, it was really interesting to read. Maybe I'll have to save some money and see where there is a mchine like that available in this area.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  1:14:36 PM  Show Profile
So, how does it feel to play, Bob? Details...

...Reid

(who has been pleked in the past...)

Edited by - Reid on 10/29/2007 1:15:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Reid
The guitar does play easier now. I had complained that this guitar fretted hard and was tough on my fingers and hand. It now plays as easy as my other guitars and is no longer a problem.
The action was lowered a full 1/32" becasue of the Plek and of course that means less hand pressure to pull down strings. I can fret chords near the nut easier and I am not having trouble with full bars that have open third or second strings anymore.
Another noticeable improvement is that the guitar plays in tune up an down the fret board better than it ever has.
So, yes this was worth while and it did relieved pressure from my fretting hand.
I would have it done to ALL my guitars if I had too much money laying around.
I have several guitars.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  02:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a real win to me, Bob. Have fun.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000