Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian music Karaoke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  03:18:16 AM  Show Profile
I just got an idea that it might be a fun and effective way for me to learn to sing various Hawaiian songs by the means of karaoke. (In the privacy of my own home, of course). Now I am sure we do not have any lounges in this area that have Hawaiian karaoke, but I did find plenty .com places to buy such.

Does anyone know what kind of equipment I would need to play the karaoke stuff? Do they play on a regular DVD or do I need one of those "Mr. Microphone" looking set ups?

I know I can sing along with the many CDs we already have, but I think the next step would be singing them without Dennis Pavao backing me up.

Also, I am looking for more traditional Hawaiian music as opposed to the modern, hip-hop or Jawaiian sounding stuff. Like is there a Queen's music karaoke?

Has anyone done karaoke in Hawai`i? If so, is the Hawaiian language music or the same "I did it My Way" stuff that we hear over here?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  04:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think there are karaoke DVDs out there. For home use though, the Entertech MagicSing mics are great. They sell different chips, including Hawaiian. Plug it into the TV and you've got words, cheesy backgrounds and synthesized music. Works well.

Costco (everywhere) carries the microphones periodically. In Hawaii, Costco has Hawaiian music chips when they have the mics. Otherwise, I think you can buy at Longs.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  7:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
When I used to go to karaoke bars I noticed that a lot of the lyrics were misspelled, and sometimes just wrong. I think it's a great idea, but I'd double-check the lyrics befopre memorizing.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  04:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Actually, I think if you go to aloha2go.com, they have eight CD's with traditional Hawaiian songs and some contemporary stuff like "Waimanalo Blues," Iz's "SOTR/WAWW," etc. Check it out. I haven't ordered any yet, but I might. I need to know if the versions on these CD's are just sing-along versions or if there are also ones with the vocals to practice with first.

What really excites me is that on one of the CD's, they have "'Alika!" However, I can also imagine myself having a really hard time singing karaoke to that song. I don't know how long they give you to hold that note! What would you do? I'd probably listen to it without singing first so I could get a sense of how long they give you.

A hui hou!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 11/03/2007 04:53:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000