Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Nathan Aweau
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  9:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Aloha Everyone!

I've been receiving emails and questions from people about our tour. People have been asking me, "How did you and Nathan decide to a tour?" or "Is Nathan still with Hapa?" or "Is Barry touring with you guys?" What I wanted to say here separate from other topics relating to this tour is that for me, I've always respected Nathan's talent and musicality. I remember while working at Harry's Music Store in Kaimuki, Nathan used to come in to the store almost every week. I don't think he knew who I was, but I remember listening to one of his first solo recordings under Hula Records and he sang this song about Maui. I was very impressed. Not knowing that he was performing with Don Ho every night, I thought that he was one of Hawaii's top vocalist. Later, I learned that he was an outstanding Bassist.

I remember watching the Hoku awards a few years back and saw Nathan receive an award for Male Vocalist of the Year. It was for his performance on "E Apo Mai". I went out and bought his Cd the day after and rushed to listen to it. It was awesome.

Since then, my respect for him as a musician and vocalist went up another notch. So when Suzie Kagami of Hawaii Music Live approached me to do a tour with Nathan, I didn't know what to say. I was like stuttering to answer yes. I'm just an 'ukulele musician. Leading up to this tour, I knew that people were going to wonder about Hapa and the reasoning for being on tour with Nathan. Besides being 1/2 of the greatly successful group Hapa, Nathan has a thriving solo career also. For me, I've been fortunate to tour with great and legendary musicans like Three time Grammy award winner Keoki Kahumoku, Two time Grammy award winner Daniel Ho, and Legendary Grammy award winner Dennis Kamakahi.
Sometimes playing with different musicians helps one grow musically. Performing with Daniel the last two years has been a wonderful experience. (by the way, we are releasing a new instructional book and started working on our 3rd Cd) Musically Daniel has taught me so much. I put Nathan right up there with Daniel.

This tour will be a wonderful experience for me and hopefully for Nathan. We both did some radio interviews today and performed some songs together as well as some solo songs. I finally got to hear Nathan perform live for the first time. He is simply AMAZING! When he sang "Mahinahina" today, I got what we call "Chicken Skin". I also heard some songs off his new solo Cd that he will be releasing soon (Has the Cd with him on this tour for sale) and I love it already. I will be purchasing one for sure.

To everyone who is wondering why I'm doing this tour with Nathan, I am simply a fan of great music, talented musicians, and for an experience I will never forget. One day I can tell my grandchildren that I shared the stage with Hawaii's premiere vocalist, arranger, and musician, Nathan Aweau.

P.S.
Hope to see you all at one of the concerts!!

Aloha,
Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  04:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Herb,
Patrick and I were honored to be able to spend time with you and Nathan yesterday in the studio at KAPU-lp in Watsonville ( www.kapu.org ).

I was sitting two feet away from Nathan when he was singing "Mahinahina". I was totally transfixed. "Chicken Skin" doesn't even begin to describe the emotion I was feeling. To me it was like a moment frozen in time. To say that Nathan Aweau is one of Hawai'i's best vocalist is a vast understatement. As I said during the interview both of you are WORLD CLASS Musicians. Your version of "Over the Rainbow" is so poignant and filled with such sensitivity. It just takes the melody of that song to a new level. Thank you for sharing your music and your thoughts with us. We are all greatly enriched by having you and Nathan visiting us on the mainland.
Mahalo a nui loa, Norman

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  2:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Herb, see you Sunday in Carlsbad!!
::==(o )

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000