Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 I took the plunge...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  10:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Two Saturdays ago, my wife and I walked in to Eric Schoenberg's guitar shop on a lark. As soon as we walked in, my wife exclaimed, "What is that!?!?" It was (and is) a tenor resonator uke made by John Morton.

I walked out an hour later with my first resonator instrument, as well as my first uke.

It's got a 17" scale, currently tuned to GCEA. The resonator cone is somewhere around 8 1/4" across (it's hard to measure from the top). It's got palm trees on the screened soundholes, and a palm tree etched on the back.

It's back with John getting some tweaks done to the setup. I'm still in shock, but I'm pretty darned excited about the new sound possibilities with this little gem!

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  11:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm SOOOOOOOOO jealous!!!! That was only the second uke John made, right?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  02:02:35 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! They are such fun little things; I love all mine. OK, now what kind will you get next? You can't stop with one; it will get lonely.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  7:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

I believe John's made a few of them - maybe 8 or 9? There's an older one at Schoenberg's now (still new, but mine was the most recent one made) - some minor cosmetic differences from mine (different woods, mainly) but essentially the same instrument. I think some of the Cheap Suit Serenaders own them as well. It's definitely the loudest instrument I own.

Pauline, I've got to concentrate on culling the herd now - this instrument should cure (or alleviate) my acquisition syndrome for a good while. Anybody want a Breedlove nylon-string guitar? Good for slack key...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000