Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Strings and tuners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  6:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I'm looking for a couple of suggestions. Im a brand new uke player, with a new tenor uke - 17 inch scale.

1. What brands of strings do you all use? My local store carries two - GHS and another brand (I can't remember which), and both sets appear to be identical. Black nylon with an aluminum wound third string. What do you use, and where do you get your strings?

2. My uke came with a low G string. I've since replaced the strings with a Ko'olau Gold set with a high G. Right now I like the sound of the high G better (tighter chords) - I also can't find a local source of strings with a low G. Who uses a low G, and what benefits do you see from the tuning?

3. My uke has geared tuners with a 4:1 ratio. I'd love to get some with a higher ratio - say 8:1 or higher. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any tuners available with a ratio higher than 4:1. Any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  9:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi John,

I have Nylgut strings ordered off the web on the Fluke and the C. Vega tenor. The Fluke is tuned high-G. I admit I tried to shift the strings around for low-G but it wouldn't work without enlarging the 4th nut slot. Since I use that uke for strumming, it's probably just as well.

The tenor is also used for fingerstyle and I like to be able to go to lower notes. The 4th string is copper wound.

Are they better strings than what was on there before? I don't know. The Fluke had the black original equipment strings, whatever they were. Vega put high-tension D'Addarios on the tenor; I was glad to get the fat C-string off but they had sounded just fine. The Nylguts sound just fine. Tin ears?

I don't know about tuners; I have the friction, ungeared variety. I've heard of one luthier using dulcimer tuners but he has to make his own buttons.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  10:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My two cents on strings:
You should probaby try using standard strings (all nylon) on your uke and see if you like an unwound 3rd. It adds a little "plinky-ness" but takes away the somewhat slack feeling of a wound string, especially when the strings get older. I like Martin strings for this, but others are fine, I'm sure.
High G: I like the high G sound because it's distinctive to the uke, but a low G gives you a pseudo bass string to compliment most of the open string chords. You hear it in Bruddah Iz "Somewhere over the Rainbow" intro.
Tuners: Because tuning a uke involves tiny changes in the tuner, going to a higher ratio would probably make it hard to tune because the higher gearing (8:1) have you chasing the tuning around with larger changes in the tuner. FWIW.
Congratulations on the new uke! Time for kanikapila! Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000