Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New tuning machine follow-up / new fluke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  04:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Two topics for the price of one click: First is a follow up to wanting to replace the violin-style pegs on my old uke with tuning machines, where I was recommended to Gryphon Music in Palo Alto.

I decided to do that, and called ahead to ask if that was possible, and if they had the machines I wanted. They said they did, so I drove to Palo Alto, only to find out they didn't have the machines! They thought they could order it for me, so I gave them my name, phone, and e-mail. However, I never got a response. Later when I called them back, they didn't know what I was talking about. Also, the price seemed expensive - can't remember exactly what it was, though. So although the staff seemed friendly and helpful, and they have a good selection of guitars and books (and the uke selection is also pretty good), I have to give my experience a thumbs down. I'll try someplace I can take BART to next time.

So I'm vaguely thinking of getting a fluke as a travel instrument. I noticed today a new entry on Elderly for a Soprano Fluke called the Flea, at $100. Comes out in May. http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/FLEA-GRN.htm . On the plus side, it looks like it should be a nice $100 Uke, something there aren't enough of - plus it has metal frets, which the Fluke doesn't. On the negative side, man is it ugly! Well, maybe in another color...

Jeffrey

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile
OS, the Gryphon shop is usually pretty good to work with - sorry you had a bad time. You might try calling again, and ask to speak to either Frank Ford or Mike Gold. Frank is a co-founder and owner of the store, and runs the frets.com website. Tell him about your previous experience. Frank should make it right.

As far as I can tell, most people seem to use dulcimer or banjo tuners. Looking at Stewart MacDonald, a set of four dulcimer tuners is close to $70, and a set of Waverly banjo tuners (generally considered the best maker of steel string guitar tuning machines) will run you $90. Add labor on to those prices and it is an expensive proposition.

As far as the Flea goes, I think they're cute, much better looking than the original Fluke. I'd also consider the Weber Sweet Pea ukulele, which lists for $300. I e-mailed Weber about it. They only made four of these, all for Elderly. They're based on the Sweet Pea mandolin, which seems to be a pretty nifty concept.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  10:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Hmm. My attempts to use UBB codes didn't work, and I don't think I can edit my post to make it pretty. But you get the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  10:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi John,

I fixed the code for you. You just about had it but missed the quotes... [ url="http://www.url.com" ] text [ /url]

Of course, without the spaces. You should be able to edit your post. Look for this icon in your post.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Check out the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2509112049&category=2385

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000