Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Foot pedal bass
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  4:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've been thinking about trying a one-man-band act and I've been looking at bass foot pedal setups, both commercial and homemade. Anyone use one of these? Anyone ever built one or salvaged one from an electric organ? Can anyone explain how a midi foot pedal is programmed to function as a bass pedal rig?

Jesse Tinsley

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage

How about a foot Gong

Lee
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  05:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's pretty funny, though I'm not sure how musical it is.
I was thinking more along the lines of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studiologic-MP113-Dynamic-Pedalboard-MIDI-Controller?sku=701303
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-PK5A-Dynamic-Foot-Pedal-and-MIDI-Controller?sku=700734

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 11/08/2007 05:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Check out the "foot pianos" made by my old Iowa buddy, Robert "One-Man" Johnson, photo and info here: http://www.housedogmusic.com/credits.htm

Okay, I know it's not what you mean, but they were inspired by a guy named "Jesse." I used to record this guy in concert back in the late-'70s/early-'80s.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Karl,
I found Johnson's web page on a search and saw the foot piano. It's very cool, but I don't think I could pull off building something like that, especially something that is portable and would have to take some abuse. I like the idea of acoustic output, but everything I would do would be amplified, so I could also use a sustained sound for some songs. But I don't have $500 for the Roland.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  10:20:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kihoalukid

How about a foot Gong

Ohmygawd!!!! A digereedo and a sarangi! That's two strikes. The latter is a one-stringed instrument used by beggars in India who play music SO bad that you pay them to go away!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

That's pretty funny, though I'm not sure how musical it is.
I was thinking more along the lines of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studiologic-MP113-Dynamic-Pedalboard-MIDI-Controller?sku=701303
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-PK5A-Dynamic-Foot-Pedal-and-MIDI-Controller?sku=700734

Jesse Tinsley

The only problem with midi controllers is that you need a sound module to get them to sound. My main keyboard is a Studio Logic 88 key midi controller and a Kurtzweil piano module. I worked in the 80's with a guy who had been a one-man band playing top 40 songs in Holiday Inns for a living. He had one, along with an Echoplex so he could sing duets with himself and an array of DAT machines and a mixer. He was an inredible guitarist, though.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Hi Karl
Twas I, Gregg - not Karl.
I thought it would go well alongside your washtub bass, actually.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Apologies, Retro. Not sure how mind enfeebled mind crossed those wires..
I'm learning that I will probably have to run a laptop to program a midi foot controller to be used as a bass pedal. But it would be worth it to be able to put the foot pedal into different keys so your 1-4-5 etc. would always be in the same place.
JT
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  03:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, why get so complicated with midi and that stuff? Why not just set up drum loops in your laptop software (freebie loops come with AA - or record or rip your own) for each song in your playlist. Then just run the soundcard's (there are a bunch of decent ones for laptops)output to your amp's line-in on one of the channels. Click a key to start when desired. We could do that with Audition and Sarah's AER Compact 60, if we wanted. In addition, the solution is a general one and, if you need to spend $$ on it, you can do loads more with the setup - software and hardware. Single purpose pedals don't make a make a lot of sense to me these days. (And, Sarah and I saw a performance of a guy in NYC that was mostly pedals - about 6- and a McGill guitar - he was *barefoot* and actually had to dance. Nato Lima, who was there, said the old Segovia line: "It is very interesting but it is not music." BTW, you are going to have to spend *something* to do this anyway.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 11/09/2007 04:36:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  12:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yep, I can't really afford a $500 single use pedal. I've been asked by a couple local places if I wanted to be a one-man-band act playing jazz standards and oldies, but wanted to see if I could do it all live as oposed to using pre-recorded or presequenced tracks. Like a lot of players, I don't play well with others. I don't want to be novelty act, just produce some easy listening music. I would spend a little bit to try it, but I don't think that I'll ever make money at it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  12:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hey Jesse,

If the chord structure is simple and repetitive enough, loop pedal and/or octave pedal works pretty well. Boss makes an octave pedal that turns your guitar into a bass for under $100 I think. Roland and Digitech make decent loop pedals for about $300.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've thought about a looper and seen some guys using them to great effect. As I've been building my repertoire, I've found that most classic songs have a verse-verse-bridge-verse song structure, which means that the bridge interrupts the loop system and I would have to play that live.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I saw Phil Keagy last month. He used a loop pedal and was realy good at it. He played chords, then tapped his guitar for pecussion, then played melody and lead over that. He is very good at using loop but he was also working with his own songs.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  2:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Okay, I know it's not what you mean, but they were inspired by a guy named "Jesse."

That would be Jesse Fuller, who wrote San Francisco Bay Blues. I think he called his contraption the "Footdella."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmVVxhYlp2Y

So yeah, Jesse, you gotta get something happening to carry on the name!

I used to perform with a MIDI guitar system that let me do three or four different voices at a time. I could grab a loop, add chords or tones that held using a latching footpedal, and play over the top with guitar, MIDI or both.

Huge amounts of sound, but boy was it a complex rig.

I applaud you choice to go live with either pedals or loops -- playing to sequences is so last century.

Edited by - Mark on 11/09/2007 2:09:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My secret for learning to play foot bass and guitar simultaneously is to play VERY SLOW.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000