Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Alaska picks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  04:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Are there any Alaska pic useres out there?

Early this week I cracked a fingernail and had to clip it close. When I tried to play, I found that the newly exposed flesh under my nail was too tender and I could not play.

I had alska picks laying around and tried them. That got me back playing again and they sound great.

After being forced to use them for a while (out of necessity), I have noticed that I get a much better tone than I can with my nails. Another thing is they help the melody stand out against the bass. For me, they produce a better tone on both steel string and nylon.

The one problem with them is that they pinch my fingers and make them red and sore after playing. I have all sizes at hand, and even the large ones mark and hurt my fingers--I am a small guy with average width fingers btw.

Are there any tricks to using them or is it a matter of giving time to break my fingers in? If I can make them more comfortable I just may decide to use them from here on out.

I found a post about using Mastisol adhesive and will probably try that sometime later.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 11/11/2007 04:18:22 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile
They do loosen after a while. You can also put them in HOT water to soften a bit and then stretch them.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  07:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Hi Bob,

I found the same thing when I used Alaska Pix. The sound was much better than my own nails. I also found that they got in the way between the strings. Then I found this:

"http://www.guitarplayernails.com/index.html"

And I've been using them ever since. They are not very pretty but sound great. I've found that nobody really notices them anyway.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  09:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Are there any tricks to using them or is it a matter of giving time to break my fingers in? If I can make them more comfortable I just may decide to use them from here on out.

Although I normally use nails, I keep a set of three in my case for emergencies. The trick is to do some serious shaping so the pick fits your finger.

Once you've got a basic fit using the hot water method, get out a nail file and go to work on the sharp edges around the opening in the band that goes around your finger. Remember, you'll be wearing it for 45 minutes or more if you play a gig! Take enuf material off so it's comfortable, but not so much that the pick won't stay on.

Then work on the part that extends past your nail -- aim for both comfort and playability. I shape mine to pretty much mimic the shape of the nail they are substituting for.

Since each one of your fingers is different, you might want to use a sharpie to label which is which.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  10:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage

Though i just use flesh/short nails, i did use Alaska Pix for a while. After carving up a few sets i found the following preparation to be the most comfortable for me (least mass,material,squeeze). The green area in the pics is what to remove, i like the top version the best.

Lee

Edited by - kihoalukid on 11/11/2007 10:38:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Bing
The glue on nails seem to be an option worth trying. It would be nice to pick up a guitar and start playing with out having to put on finger picks. And also,they do slip.

I have a question and will ask it here so others can see the response.
How often do you have to replace them and how does you real nail hold up from doing that?

On another subject.
I lived in Haleiwa, Oahu, and used to surf long board from 57 thru 68. I am sure I had heard of your boards back then.
Did you know Dick Brewer?
He was the owner of Surfboards Hawaii and also a big wave rider.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 11/12/2007 5:53:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  05:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Hi Bob,

You only cover half the nail with the plastic and it will last until the nail grows out enough that there is only about an eighth inch left holding it on and then it's time to re-do it. The glue they use is really strong and when you take them off the nail may be a little soft for a day, but I don't see any permanent damage.

Yes, I know Brewer. We worked together for a few years back in the 60's. Haleiwa was one of my favorite surf spots back in the day.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  2:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Bing
I got some guitarplayernails in the mail today and I am going to give them a try for a while.

I have very good natural nails. However, my real nails can not produce the kind of tone I am getting from plastic.
Got to go with it!

Thanks for the info.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000