Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani, Stephen Inglis and Friends
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile
On Friday, Nov. 9th, at The Attic in Santa Cruz, Ca. Ozzie Kotani and Stephen Inglis played to an appreciative and enthusiastic crowd.

The next night, while still in Santa Cruz, they gave a hana hou kanikapila style concert at our local Hawaiian restaurant, The Aloha Island Grille.

http://alohaislandgrille.com/

Joining Ozzie and Stephen was Kalae (Bobo) Miles. Bobo is going to open for Amy Hanaiali'i at her show in Seattle on Dec 5th.

http://www.myspace.com/kalaeakaquotboboquot

Vern Fernandez from one of our local Monterey Bay area groups called Huna Wai, also sat in, and was superb vocally and instrumentally.

http://www.hunawai.com/

Even the normally shy and elusive Timmy Hunt co owner of "Da Grille", felt the special vibes that were present and sat in at the end of the 3 hrs of music.

Ozzie Kotani, Bobo Miles, Vern Fernandez and Stephen Inglis. Kumu Bobo is offering instruction to the crowd on the kauna of one of the songs they are about to play.

The hands of Ozzie Kotani!! No further explanation needed!!

Timmy Hunt, co-owner of "Da Grille" and Vern Fernandez singing "Ku'u Morning Dew".

Vern Fernandez,Ozzie Kotani,Bobo Miles, Timmy Hunt and Stephen Inglis

Thank you to all the wonderful musicians and thank you to Timmy for putting it all together. The Aloha Island Grille rules!!!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
I wish I knew about this.
My wife and I drove to Santa Cruz from San Jose
Friday night and had dinner at the Grille before
going to Ozzie and Steve gig at the Attic.
Both Ozzie and Steve had a great show.
We drove home that night so that I could attend
Ozzie's workshop in Santa Clara.
I heard some talk of this jam session after the workshop.
Looks like it was a lot of fun !!
I don't know if I could have talked my wife to another
drive over da hill...
But I did have fun at a mini-jam lesson after the workshop with
mahimahi, sil da trill, kimoto1, and PearlCityBoy.
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  07:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I too was disappointed that I didn't heard about this event but then learned that it was a quasi-private party with only a limited number of people being told of the gathering. Timmy of the Aloha Island Grill arranged for Ozzie and Stephen to come to Santa Cruz and he does so much for Hawaiian music and all things Hawaiian in this area, that he gets a free pass for however he wishes to handle things (as I see it)
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't think there's anything free about the "free pass". Timmy put out heart, soul and personal dollars to put on the show at The Attic. With all the hawaiian music lovers that are out there, the head count was very poor. After the musicians were paid their due, what was left over was puny. What happened at the Grille on Saturday was not a quasi-private party. The doors were open to all. It certainly was not announced from the stage at the Attic, but it was put out on the floor and at the workshop. This was a last minute thing, but even if it had not been, promoting a Saturday at the Grille before the Friday performance would have diluted concert tickets even more. This was also a way for Timmy to give a little more to Ozzie and Steve. They played their asses off.

Mahalo to markwitz for the pics. It was a great evening. Mahalo to Timmy for putting it all together and for asking me to be the DD for the weekend.

Me ke aloha,

dog
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  2:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Ilio Nui - As I said previously, I appreciate what Timmy has done for the local Hawaiian music community and I'm sorry that the shows he has promoted apparently haven't done well, and I'm including the Darlene Ahuna concert from last year. He deserves better and I'm concerned that he will be discouraged from doing further shows. I bought tickets to both shows, bought CDs from each of the performers and otherwise promoted the shows as best I could.

As far as my use of the term "quasi-private" - I meant that to mean what you seem to be saying, that is that "invitation" was by word of mouth only and that if you heard of it by this means then it was "open to all." No big deal here, its not the invite I've missed, and from the tone of your response, apparently not the last either.

I love what Timmy's done for Hawaiian music in general and specifically for what he's done at his restaurant. As people have said, if you found a place like the Aloha Island Grill In Hawaii you would consider yourself very lucky and here it is in Santa Cruz without the air fare.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000