Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Discovering the Ukulele: Book. Sound files?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Went to the Ho/Ohata workshop in San Diego. It was wonderful. Daniel and Herb have a good chemistry together and we all learned a lot. Bought the "Discovering the Ukulele" book and their new one "Exploring the Ukulele". My one complaint about the books is that there is no opportunity to hear what the piece is SUPPOSED to sound like. Of course, some of the songs are featured on their CD's, which I dutifully bought. But the versions on the CD's are much more complex than the versions in the books and often feature multiple instruments. It is difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. I cannot recommend listening to the "performed" version to determine what the song should sound like.

So, Daniel, Herb (or someone!): Please consider doing a quick run through on both of your books and posting MP3's online.

Slow down! It's Molokai.

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  1:17:36 PM  Show Profile
you get one piano o wat? dat helps sometimes me. One odda ting I do *sometimes* is record myself playing a song afta practicing it a while. It helps me hear mistakes, how I really sound to everybody else, and wat fo work on. Den, you might be able fo get a bettah idea of wat da song supposed fo sound like - in case no mo recordings of um.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile
I have found that music instruction books with accompanying CD or DVD quickens the learning. For novices new to reading music (including tab) it's not always easy figuring out the rhythm. It's easy counting basic quarter notes and eighth notes. But when you throw in those eighth note rests and dotted quarter notes I get lost in the muck. When you hear what it should sound like, I often find that easier to imitate. And then if both halves of the brain work, maybe I can connect the sound pattern to what is actually written on the music sheet.

So I second Herb and Daniel putting out aural aids or maybe a DVD to compliment your books.

Guke

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  5:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I find learning songs I haven't heard to be very tough. I think you need your ears way more than your eyes to play well. Tab os sheet music can be a guide, and a starting point, but listening is the real key in my experience.Never take your ears out of the loop.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000