Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Support Ray Kane, buy commemorative POG
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Buy a Ray Kane POG and support him. POGs are those nifty little cardboard buttons with a logo or photo on them. Elodia (Ray's wife) gave me a bag full of these buttons last weekend. They have a color photo of Raymond playing his Lowden with the words "Raymond Kane Hawaiian Slack Key Master" (also "May 1993 made in Hawaii"). Very cool and collectible. $5.00 each. Buy a bunch guys but SEND MONEY TO THEM, NOT ME!!! Email me with your address and how many you want. I'll mail them to you at my own expense. You are expected to send the Kanes a check. Honor system so be pono. Make check's payable to: ELODIA KANE, 89-103 HALEAKA AVE., WAIANAE, HI 96792. Please put "POGS" on the memo of the check. A nice note about how much you love the music would be cool too. Mahalo, Doug Fitch

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile
k`den.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
ADDRESS CORRECTION:

Street name for Kane's is HALEAKALA, it was super late at night so I miss spelled it. Sorry.
Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Doug,
I would be thrilled to have some of these POGs. I will contact you about how many to send. Thought I'd send a link on Ray Kane's bio. I just love the translation of his middle name "Kaleoalohapoina'oleohelemanu". The voice of love that comes and goes like a bird and will never be forgotten.

http://www.dancingcat.com/artists/Ray_Kane.php

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Doug,

Just got my POGs today. Mahalo.

They're way cool!!!!!!

dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Crisis is not over. Received the following e-mail yesterday:
----------
Aloha, Friends,

We are writing to ask your assistance in helping a respected kupuna who has, over the years, given of himself to other musicians and shared his beautiful music and stories with all of us.

Due to financial woes, slack key great, “Uncle” Raymond Kane and his family have incurred a large electric bill. They need our help in order to keep the oxygen machine that “Uncle” Raymond requires on, and to keep the household running smoothly. Due to his long battle with emphysema, Raymond is now dependent on his oxygen machine 24 hours a day.

Raymond has been hospitalized for several weeks now and it was during this time that the electricity in his home was shut off. Prior to this, HECO had kept the electricity on, at the request of his physician, in order to keep Raymond’s machine running. However, HECO now says they will not keep the power on without a sizable payment on the past due balance.

A handful of musicians have already stepped forward with donations and we are asking that all who know Raymond & Elodia Kane and all who have enjoyed their music, please help by making a monetary contribution. Whatever you can afford is fine. If we all work together, we can help a man and his family who have been so very good to us.

You may make your contribution directly to HECO, M-F, at 820 Ward Avenue (7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.), at 900 Richards Street. (7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., or mail it to P. O. Box 3978, Honolulu, HI, 96812. For more information, please contact Kama Hopkins at 927-2779 or via email at jeremyh @ oha.org.

Mahalo for your kokua,

Hula Records

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  08:24:16 AM  Show Profile
No worries -- a donor has stepped forward to pay the entire amount (sorry, I'm not at liberty to post more details).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
That is wonderful news Auntie Maria! It is great to hear that someone has stepped up to the plate. We all need to malama each other.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear the good news. Uh, Doug Fitch called the POGS 'littl cardboard butons". Just want to share a little history. The pog is a remnant from the day when cardboard caps covered milk bottles that were actually delivered to one's home. We as kids used to collect them for various reasons. The main one being to fill out a page sort of like a macdonalds game. When all the special milk covers were collected and the page filled out we could redeem the page for tickets to a Christmas show where we got to go to the dairy farm where the mascot Lani Moo lived. While we were there we would play games and participate in contests to win prizes. This collecting started in January and would last till about October or November just in time for Christmas. Another thong we did with milk covers was play competitive games with them. They were stacked one on top of the other sometimes 6 inches high. And using what we called a kini we would smack the pile from the top and whatever milk covers flipped completely over were ours to keep. Later on in the early 90's the covers became the POG. There was a fruit drink by that name but I don't know if it is related. The juice POG was an acronym for Passion Orange Guava the juice combo used in the POG. Any way these cardboard POGS became a rage and were collected like trading cards. The rage cooled off and kind of died down. I'm glad that someone thought of making a Ray Kane POG because that is a worthwhile souvenir and collectable.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  08:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
...and on the Mainland, the POG game spread from Hawai`i to the West Coast, and eventually all across the continent all the way east. The way we heard the story was that the name did come from the juice, because it was originally delivered in glass bottles from the same dairies. But people where I grew up collected ones that were made specifically for the game, whereas if you could get a "real" POG all the way from Hawai`i, that was extremely collectible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000