Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Arranging for Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cthulhu
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  06:16:31 AM  Show Profile
I've been having a blast playing songs from Ozzie's book (and Keola as well). That being said, I'm finding myself wanting to try my hand at arranging "non" slack key pieces into the slack key style. For example, if I wanted to play "Gone" or "Breakdown" from Jack Johnson, what would be the magic formula to create slack key versions of those tunes?

Thanks all!

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  07:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Jeremy,

I think that depends on what you mean by arranging. Do you want a chord arrangement so so can sing or do you want instrumental versions where you play the melody? For either case it's important that you learn the chord inversions in various positions up and down the neck. For example, if you're in Taropatch, find all the Gs, Cs and Ds. If you've been doing Ozzie's and Keola's books, you have a pretty good idea where they are already.

Most tunings are going to leave you with the melody notes on the first string (high D in Taropatch). so with the various inversions, find the one that puts the melody note on that string. Since most chords hold for two to four measures, quite often the next note in the melody will probably fall on the second or third string in that same position. Now, depending on your tuning, let's stick with TP, transpose all the chords of the song you want to play to the Key of G. Then, as we like to say, noodle it out.

Get familiar with http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/fr_rb_main.html?plyr=R,bass=bottom You can set the strings to any tuning you want and call up the chords. This is important when you get to chords like F9, Ami(b5), CMaj6 etc. I just finished a TP version of George Gershwin's "Embraceable You". Trust me, I couldn't have found the fingering for Em(Maj7) or B7(b9) without it.

The more you do this, the easier it gets. As you progress, you'll find that some tunings lend themselves better to certain melodies. You'll also gain a great knowledge of the fingerboard.

Noodle, noodle, noodle,

dog
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  05:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Ilio Nui

Thanks for the link to LookNoHands - never come across it before and it's going to be my pet project for the new year now!

TP Gershwin? Could be good - anybody done Bacharach & David??

Graham
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you too for posting that link.....it is an amazing and helpful resource!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  11:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
That is a good one. Don't forget that we have a listing here. If you know of additional links that should be added, please add away!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000