Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 something to try
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  10:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
okay, the ukulele side of things has been really quiet lately. i know there's some great uke players out there - "slackkey" bill blew my socks off the last time i saw him (or was that his brother skippy? i get them confused) with some hot ukulele licks...

my latest ukulele idea was inspired by petty booka's "ukulele lady" album. one of their songs is a medley of "coffee blues" and "creole belle". i don't know which is which (i think benten, their label, treats this as a state secret ) but the one that sings "coffee blues" is great. the backup is one ukulele being fingerpicked.

i can't duplicate the great picking on that album because the uke has a high G string, and i play with a low G. but, you can do a credible version of the song in the key of F with a low G string. set up a walking bass on the GC strings and start working out the melody on the EA strings. so far, i've done "creole belle", "engineer bill", and "freight train".

if there's enough interest, i can try to tab up one of them.

aloha,
keith

Keith

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
whoa, keith! you mean to say you have only one uke? say it ain't so, dude.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  11:02:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
whoa, keith! you mean to say you have only one uke? say it ain't so, dude.

Or maybe Keith strings ALL of his ukuleles with low G sets.

Count me interested, Keith.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 02/06/2003 11:03:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Keith,

I'm always interested in ukulele fingerstyle. Please!

Thanks,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile
I've played Missippi John Hurt's Stagolee and it works great. Just about anything would sound great on uke!
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  04:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
For those wishing to play with fingerstyle ukulele... try this slack key tuning... GCEG... just drop the 'normal' A to a G. It's great! We recorded a fingerstyle version on Ki Ho'alu Hanalei on the Slack Key Story CD and we hope to feature this as a lesson on an upcoming release.

A hui hou!

Aloha nui,
Sandy & Doug
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi folks, i've been busy.

UJ, yeah, i have plenty of ukes, but they're all low G. hey! this is an excuse to go get a high-G uke, you say? what an excellent idea? (do you call it UAS rather than GAS?)

pops, stagolee would sound great... UJ, i think, once said that he does mando parts at bluegrass tailgaters on a uke, and it sounds great.

sandy and doug, i hear so many great things about you folks. i hope that the next time i get all the way over to your end of the chain, i'll be able to hear you folks play.

dusty and pauline, i'll work on it this week...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Exclude me in! I'm interested.

Anthony
Go to Top of Page