Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Guitar & uke duos?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha ohana,

(Please correct me if that's the wrong usage.)

I'm looking for suggestions on a fairly easy piece or two for guitar and uke.

A friend of mine is interested in learning a fairly easy bit of slack key for a performance his wife volunteered him for. He's a good fingerstylist and thought he'd use his nylon string for this. His steelies are in DADGAD and such. He's also invited me to join in. I'll go for the uke because I'm running into thumb pain playing the guitar.

I was thinking of something from Ozzie Kotani's book. I also have Keola Beamer's Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar and the Beamer/Mark Nelson Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack-Key Guitar. That'll help my friend.

Now what in the world does the uke do? Chord along? Up the neck to provide some contrast between two nylon string instruments?

Mahalo,

Pauline

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
pauline,

a uke player can do a lot of different things... do you or your friends sing? with a uke and guitars, you could do hi'ilawe, or wahine 'ilikea, or koke'e... all are fairly simple to learn, and have opportunities for some breaks for the uke or guitar.

[on the salutation, i think that you'd say "aloha e 'ohana", but my hawaiian is gathered from reading lyrics and poking at grammar books. i hope to fix that at the music camp. i'd say "aloha e kaua", which i think is what you were trying to say. if sarah is reading this, i'm sure she can give you more - i'm still confused between "ka" and "he"]

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:12:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

...with a uke and guitars, you could do hi'ilawe, or wahine 'ilikea, or koke'e...

Thanks for the reply. Oh, dumb question, those are songs or some kind of styles? Songs I guess, but I'm not sure. If songs, I need to find that list of songs and where they appear in the slack key books.

I think singing is out, BTW. My friend claims not to be a singer tho' he's better than he thinks, and I know I'm not.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
pauline,

they're songs. hi'ilawe is an all-time oldie, made popular by gabby pahinui. the other two are by dennis kamakahi and are on his first album. none appear in slack-key books, but they're all pretty easy. you might not think of them as slack key, perhaps, because they're not solo slack key numbers, but then again you're not talking about playing solo. give a listen to dennis' album. i could try to work up tab for hi'ilawe (i'm behind in my tab!)

if this is too ambitious, then you could just take any ol' slack key number, figure out what the chords are, and have the two guitars swap taking lead with the other guitar and the uke playing rhythym. ozzi doesn't give you the chords, but if you choose a number and need help, i'd be happy to work out the chord sequence for you.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  10:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Pauline, how about "Manuela Boy" from the Ozzie book. If you friend is a fingerstyle player already I think he'll find it fairly easy. There are only two chords, G and D7, so when he's playing the G bass, you play a G chord, when he's playing D bass, you play a D7. You've got a duet.

If you have time to go the next step, can you figure out the (a) melody by ear? Or a counter melody, or a few licks, or whatever, and he can brush through the chords while you play your part, or you can play your part over his slack key.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Keith, oops, I don't have that album. Don't have many albums. Thanks for the other ideas, tho. I may need some chord help if I wander from G & D7.

Fran, that's an idea. On a taropatch song with a barre on the 5th, that's C, I think. Right? I'd like to keep the uke in a standard tuning so I don't have to learn too many chord forms. I can pick out a melody, no prob, it's the dang chords that confuse me. Counter melody? Uh, well, uh,...

BTW, I'm talking about Chak. I think you may have heard some of his MP3's over on the AG forums.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 02/24/2003 11:34:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000