Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 CD Sales Listing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Is there a website that lists the Hawaiian music CD sales by artist/group?

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  3:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Do you want a kind of "Top 10" (or "best sellers") list, or....?

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  06:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Top 10 would be good. What other lists are there?
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Raises a question...

Maria - do you report your CD sales to a National Sales statistics organization (like BillBoard)? I.E. if I were to buy Cyril's new CD from you, would it get reported the same way as if I had bought it from the (now defunct) Tower Records?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  7:30:41 PM  Show Profile
MELE.COM does not report (or support) any "Top 10" lists -- too easily skewed by a bombastic new release, or one island's favorite singer's new release, etc. The #1 at Borders-Maui, may not even show up in the top 10 at Borders-Kaua`i. And then the mainland audience skews it even more.

I tracked sales in 1997-98, and actually had a MELE.COM weekly "Top 10" for a few months -- but then found that the numbers were impacted by odd instances...like a kumu hula choosing a specific older recording of a mele, and those haumana then purchasing that CD...which perhaps hadn't had a sale for nearly a year...pushing that recording into the Top 10, briefly.

Too many variables...one person's "Top 10" probably isn't YOUR "Top 10".

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  08:53:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Too many variables...one person's "Top 10" probably isn't YOUR "Top 10".
Yes, but my added questions were somewhat broader.

How are National Sales statistics tracked in these days of the Internet?

If you and other "independent" sellers (like maybe CDBaby) do not report sales to National Statistics Aggregators, then who does?

And if they are not reported, then the sales statistics put out by entities like BillBoard must only represent WalMart and Amazon and that is about it. However, you do buy from a distributor or producer and they may be reporting their sales to entities like BillBoard, right?

So any manao you could share on this issue would be enlightening.

Mahalo...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/10/2007 11:35:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  2:09:00 PM  Show Profile
As I understand it, the various music distributors here in Hawai`i report their sales. It's possible that this is the method also used for mainland distributors who handle the island titles for mainland retailers.

But that, too can be skewed -- many of the "big boy" retailers place enormous orders with 6-12 month terms...and then return all unsold product to the distributor before that payment comes due. Those returns cannot be "removed" from the previously-submitted sales info.

Which makes me wonder why anyone would make a purchase based solely on its chart rating...

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  05:23:46 AM  Show Profile
I guess my original question was my wondering if there was some sort of Billboard-type chart on Hawaiian music. If so, I haven't found it. I wasn't planning on basing my purchases upon the charts, rather I was just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  06:38:58 AM  Show Profile
There is no formal "Top 10" published for island music -- but many retailers post their own lists (either in-store, or on their website). The Honolulu papers used to post the sales as reported by Borders (O`ahu only)...haven't seen it lately though.

FYI -- the island music distributors who post a "Top 10" on their sites, only list the titles they handle. So you will see totally different titles when comparing lists.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000