Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 christmas tabs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile
howzit? i really love da slack key christmas tabs everybody shared! i was jus wondering, anyone get any christmas ukulele tabs (fingerstyle) dat dey willing fo share wit us?

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Edited by - da_joka on 12/06/2007 11:08:20 AM

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Hey Brandon:

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play a song on your computer
and have some software capture and create sheet music and tabs
for what ever instrument you want to play !!

Les
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile
only in dream land eh?

You familiar wit da Dominator? I really wonder how he does it! He's a tab making machine! So awesome!

Edited by - da_joka on 12/06/2007 12:19:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I posted this info on a new fingerpicking Christmas tab eBook on a couple of other ukulele sites--I wasn't sure if folks here wanted to know about it or I'd have put it here. But if you're looking for Christmas tab, this might be right up your alley. Here's what I wrote:

Christmas time is coming--and that means friends and family who will definitely want *you* to play ukulele this holiday season (well, that's my Christmas wish for myself at least!). Woodshed, who has the free fingerpicking e-mail course, has just finished up a Christmas ukulele songbook featuring not just chords, but TABS of holiday carols.

I downloaded it this weekend and I'm impressed with the arrangements--I'd classify them as advanced beginner to intermediate level. The style ranges from Hawaiian-style fingerpicking to jazzy strumming to classical sounding stuff. I've been playing them with my little LoPrinzi tuned in re-entrant and they sound great (well, they will when I get them practiced a few more times!).

It's an eBook so you get the PDF downloads--plus there are MP3s of him playing the actual songs (not MIDIs) so you can hear what you *will* sound like when you can play that well, too. Note: While the MP3s have a good sound, they're not a "performance" quality for easy listening on the CD player around the fireplace. Also note I have no affiliation with Woodshed--other than I'm hoping these songs will make me sound good this Christmas season!

It's only $7 and I'm happy Woodshed has them out early in December to give me plenty of practice time this month. See here for details:
http://howtoplayukulele.com/how-to-play-christmas-ukulele/

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

only in dream land eh?
You familiar wit da Dominator? I really wonder how he does it! He's a tab making machine! So awesome!

Yep he has a ton of tabs,
he does have:

Midi -> Power Tab -> pdf

Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  03:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
anybody got a site to explain TABS to a newbie I understand Chords but TABS is new to me???????

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  06:41:37 AM  Show Profile
eh Nancy!

Hea's a site dat talka about reading guitar tabs ... da only difference between dat and ukulele is, 2 strings :-) Da notation is da same.

http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/lessons/the-basics/how-to-read-guitar-tab/

Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  1:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Thank you I will go study now but WOW it is like a new language for me and my old brain will need time to try and digest this.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  3:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Thanks thats a good web site
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile
i no can take any credit ... jus used google ;-P

Nancy, jus take it slow & maybe download a tab or two drom da dominator's site (http://dominator.ukeland.com/index2.shtml). Silent Night, da first one looks like a great practice tab. Jus remembah da top line in da tab is da A string on da ukulele and da bottom line is da G string. Have FUN and keep warm!

Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  09:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Nancy,

I put together the PDF on the site below as a "reading tablature" lesson I did a couple years back with my little ukulele group. It includes instruction from EZ Folk, some notes I added and a few very simple tabs to help you get the idea of playing that way with songs you already know.
http://ukuleletonya.com/files/tablature.pdf

I find that my brain initially had a tough time with tab (I had to continually logic out where the fingers/notes/frets were compared to what I was seeing on the page) but when I stuck with it for 10 minutes or so, I could suddenly "see" where the notes were on the fretboard. That occurred every time I'd try tab for the first month or so, then I found that I'd incorporated reading tablature into my thinking process and I can do it pretty intuitively--and quickly-- now.

One thing that some folks find helpful is to look at tablature as thinking it's like the neck of the ukulele fretboard, with the headstock over to the left. When you look at the tablature, you're looking at a fretboard and you place your fingers accordingly to play the "numbers" you see.

...Perhaps this is more confusing than it's helpful...but *do* know that reading tab gets easier and better pretty quickly.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  3:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,

Your brain is doing fine .. "old brains" are to be cherished and not belittled. Tablatures aka tabulatures have been developed over the years (and centuries) as styles of notation to show where to place fingers on (mostly fretted) stringed instruments. The tablature syntax may vary across instruments and within instruments. Like any language, it takes some time to become fluent. It's handy, but no substitute for learning to play what you HEAR, rather than what a piece of paper says to play.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
hey Tonya -

I looked at your Tab explanation: very well done. I hope every onewho frequents this site will take a few minutes to look at your examples.

You do a good job pointing out that Tab is not standardized. Beginners need to be aware of this. But, all in all, Tab is a pretty benign way to learn.

And Lynn's comment is dead on: there is no substitute for learning by ear. Which can be learned, by the way.

Happy uke-in'.

Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Thankyou one and all I think I am gaining a very basic understanding of TABS it is allmos fun doesn't sound so good considering how sloly I play with TABS as I think about where to put each finger but a new mental exercise and fun.
Tanya once again you ride to the rescue and Joka thanks for the great song to practice with.
Well back to work then home to practice.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  02:51:40 AM  Show Profile
It may be slow at first, but don't worry about that.

Yeah, learning by ear is great, (and my preferred style) but when you're learning, you can't necessarily do that - you need to know where to put your fingers. Tab is great for that. You are shown where to put each finger, and yes, it is slow at first, but once you've learnt the 'shapes', then you've got them for ever! The best advice I'd have is use the tab, but don't rely on it. Memorise where the fingers go, and lose the tab as quickly as you can. It's not as much fun to play when you're having to concentrate on a bit of paper in front of you.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  09:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi there -

Larry G. wrote me and suggested a class at the Aloha Camp on "Learning to learn by ear." I think it's a good idea, but maybe something we can all discuss. So (when time permits) I'm going to start a general thread on Taropatch-- probably in Talk Story unless someone can suggest a better place.

quote:
The best advice I'd have is use the tab, but don't rely on it. Memorise where the fingers go, and lose the tab as quickly as you can.

Here's a suggestion on how to memorize a piece of music. After you play through some tab, immediately turn it over and see how far you can get. Do not fret (sorry) if you miss a note or two, but try to keep the rhythm steady and play the basic shape of the tune. Then stop, turn the page back over, and play it again. Repeat. Often.

If that is biting off too much, just take the first couple of measures. Then slowly add one or two measure till you have the whole bit.

Just like everything else in music, it is a learned skill.

Please note that memorizing a piece of tab is not the same thing as playing by ear. But it is a good thing to do.

Playing by ear means you can hear something in your mind and play it. That what I'd like to discuss. Any thoughts?

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000