Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Favorite Beatle songs on uke?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  11:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Just getting time to practice up for our Holiday Party...
Of course, there are no wrong choices...
but for starters, gotta polish up backup uke for vocal to "I Will"...

The Beatles anthology showed George doing this song (in India I assume--because they had the Maharreshi Yogi and the lads under a shade tree outside), and he noodled it in C...
But I prefer the original key of F, with vocal, so I just strum and sing mostly on this one...
What tunes do YOU play?-- and do you like to change keys, or do ya stick to the original keys and/or feel?

And it makes me think that some of the tunes were sometimes created and laid out on a uke before "Beatleizing" them! And of course, Paul likes ukes too.

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  03:28:11 AM  Show Profile
The Ukulele was George Harrison's first instrument. Wherever he went he used to take two ukuleles, one for him to play, and one in case he met someone else who could play. The Travelling Wilburies project he did with Bob Dylan, Tom Petty etc. started off, I believe, with a ukulele jam round Bob Dylan's house. In later life he was president of the Ukulele Society of Great Britain, or some similar named organisation.

If only he'd stuck with it, instead of messing around with these new fangled electric gadgets, he might have made something of himself.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  07:20:58 AM  Show Profile
My favorites to play (finger style) are "The Long and Winding Road" in C, "Junk" in F, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" in F, and, because of Jake's version, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Jake starts in Cm; I start in Am. Starting it in Cm makes the bridge a little easier to play; starting it in Am makes the verse easier to play (at least for me).

Brook Adams of Eugene, Oregon, plays the entire Abbey Road album on `ukulele. We got see him at Folklife in Seattle this year playing tunes with his daughter, Rose. Brook says he plays the entire album in the original Beetles' keys except for one song (and I can't remember which song). Here's Brook: http://www.brookadams.com/brookMusic.html.

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  07:29:19 AM  Show Profile
And have you heard the "Ohta-San Plays the Beatles" CD?

Released in 2002, it features 19 tracks from the island uke master!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  1:13:06 PM  Show Profile
not yet...
also, can I buy or download "while my guitar" by jake?
I've watched it a couple times, but would like to study it closer.
anyone know?
new mini-mac should beat the fire out of the ol g-3...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000