Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Brass instruments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Ok this is really off topic, but I am guessing there are at least a couple people who could give me an informed opinion. Here goes:

Having only played stringed instruments and piano, which brass instrument would be good to get started on? Thanks

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  8:43:51 PM  Show Profile
I'd say first start off on da instrument you're interested in. Then after a little while, you'll know if brass instruments are for you or not. And if so, which one to really focus on. I really wanted to play revelle and taps, and the bugle call for the horse races, so I had a ting fo da trumpet.

I have chocho lips and started off on trumpet in 7th grade. I played da trumpet fo a year, den got braces, and had real hard time. I slowly switched ova to baritone, den in 9th grade, I kinda borrowed a trombone from da high school and learned it. Now I'm solely a euphonium (real similar to baritone) and trombone player.

It's kinda cool since thumbstruck plays baritone too (i tink) up in WA ... I'm shua he's got some good advice up his sleeve somplace ;-P

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  04:39:54 AM  Show Profile
The closest I come to baritone or li'datis the "Helikon" bass on my buttonbox, it's an octave lower than a standard accordion bass. A friend of mine is a killer euphonium player - Oberkrainer style (the kicked up style from the area between Slovenia and Austria). The guy whose band I'm in is having his son learn baritone. Euphonium and baritone provide a very crisp bassline. It helps sell the bratwurst und bier.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
sorry thumbstruck! i knew you mentioned da baritone befo ... and your oompah band ... :-) All confused ova hea ... he he he

Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I was leaning toward trombone. They have a nice range.

Another stupid question: how much would a good starter instrument cost? I should go find a teacher yah?
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  9:14:59 PM  Show Profile
not one stupid question ... you can probably find a decent started instrument fo atound $100-$200. Anyting less den $100, you gotta watch out fo, and once you start getting >$200, you're heading into intermediate kine models. >$1000 you goin be in da pro range.

Starting from scratch is pretty touch, especially fo trombone, since you gotta learn da positions an stuff. If you can find one teacher in da area, dey can usually lead you to somplace wea you can rent a basic instrument, and most of da time, afta a yea or so, you pretty much can buy um if you like continue. No use buying one instrument as soon as you start off.

Feel free fo email me if you get any questions about da bone. I agree, dey get one real nice range - dass why trombone quartets and quintets sound soo aweseme.

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  03:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Only wind instrument I ever played was harmonica. But our elder keiki, Karen, played clarinette for a year. We rented it, and turned it in when she lost interest. Renting is a good idea, because wind instruments have valves, which may need attention on a used instrument. So a pawn shop horn may need repairs before it can be played. My sister had valve pads replaced on her flute annually, in High School.The rental ones are intended to be user friendly for beginners, and may not be the pro's choice, but to learn on they do their job. It may not be new, but it will have new valve pads. Later, if you decide you want the top of the line,plunk down the big bucks.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  06:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Here is a brass instrument of sorts. The price is right.
http://www.kazoos.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KK&Product_Code=MTBK&Category_Code=SK

http://bp0.blogger.com/_vHEol-UEACE/RaUEI_ZiEKI/AAAAAAAAAA8/7S6RrNtKCfU/s1600-h/shatnertrombone_rev.jpg

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 12/28/2007 07:06:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  6:08:27 PM  Show Profile
tanks eh konabob! gotta try dat one out someday :-)

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  06:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Eh - Uncle Dennis Kamakahi was a trombone player! Teach you how for pucker good, and the wahines might like that!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 12/30/2007 06:36:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Remember; Leo Kottke was abused by a trombone until age twelve, and look what happened to him!!!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  7:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Haha....trombone players make good vocalist. Harry Connick was a trombonist too. It has something to do with the lyrical quality of the instrument and the vibrato produced by it's slide similar to a person's voice.

I took up the trombone because my father played trombone in the Royal Hawaiian Band and the 111th National Guard Army Band. He also played cornet, baritone, and the rare double bell euphonium. Now that was the instrument that sounded so sweet to my ears but rarely found in bands today.

I rarely pick up my trombone anymore but every once in a while when the condominum I live gets too boring, I bring it out to see if security is on duty.....LOL

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  8:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. Now I just have to find a trombone teacher on Oahu.... Anyone know anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  10:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Naukilo,
Leo Kottke is a good vocalist??? By his own account his voice sounds like "geese farts on a muggy day"!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  08:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
HAHA.....I don't know about Leo's voice, but Harry has a great voice.

Aloha,
Uncle D

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Ah, but Dennis, you've got the leo onaona (and the heart to go with it). Musta been the trombone, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000