Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 My gratitude for fabulous Christmas gifts...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  10:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone,

I just wanted to tell you about some fabulous gifts I received for Christmas.

My handsome, talented son came home to visit. My heart was full.

I received in the mail on Christmas Eve afternoon a 1935 Rickenbacher (long scale) Fry Pan I had bought on eBay for a fantastic price. It was gorgeous and in unbelievably good condition. I couldn't believe my good fortune and I was so thrilled.

Two hours later I was in the Emergency Room. For 7 hours I got to enjoy probing, prodding, a CT Scan, an EKG, blood draws etc. Got visits from several doctors, including a neurologist with pins and hammers, etc. Missed church service.

The problem? It appeared I was having a stroke. The right side of my face is paralyzed, my mouth is crooked, I slobber, my eye doesn't close well, my vision is bad, my right arm and leg are weaker than the other side. (I was dropping parts of the dinner I was preparing for after church.) But after all that, it turns out it was not a stroke but Bells Palsy. Doc said I would still be able to play ukulele, but he suggested not singing too much as my words are somewhat garbled.

Compared to maybe facing life in a wheelchair minus ukulele and my new vintage steel guitar, I think I dodged the bullet here. I am so grateful. And to all my TaroPatch friends, when I do get to see you, don't be too alarmed at my face. Doc says for most people, the probelm resolves inteslf within a few months. Phew!!!!!

Meanwhile, if you have any of these symptoms, get yourself to a doctor or ER right away. A stroke needs to be attended to as soon as possible. You know when something feels wrong! I was just lucky, but I caught h... for waiting too long to go in.

Looking forward to a great New Year...

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 12/26/2007 7:42:22 PM

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  01:48:01 AM  Show Profile
We can be glad that you went in and had yourself checked out! Keep up the music. Keep smirking until you can smile.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  04:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I had a friend who had Bell's Palsy and it did resolve itself as your Doctor says. Keep your chin up.....and your lip and cheek will follow! Hope to see you at the concerts we have coming to our area in Jan and Feb. This too shall pass!!

Norman

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  06:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Julie, take good care of yourself!! If it's any consolation, you are in good company. "Democracy Now"'s Amy Goodman has been experiencing the same challenge .. see http://www.truthdig.com/report/print/20071030_for_whom_the_bells_palsy_tolls/

Happy holidays to you and your ohana,

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  07:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Julie - Get well soon!

Lynn - thanks for the link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  10:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Julie, just think about the fact that you *will* get better, don't think about anything else. You will be back in form in no time at all. This is just a blip.

Aloha no,

Reid and Sarah
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Julie,

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you got to the hospital quickly. Prayers for a swift recovery for you.

Brooklyn
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  11:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Oh Julie!
I am so glad you dodged the bullet. Whew! What a shocker though...
Shirley and I were having dinner with Dennis and Nancy Lake last night, and another guest started talking about how half his face had gone numb last year. He is just fine now, but it got us all thinking about how we should not take life for granted. I am sitting here remembering your beautiful singing at George's camp a couple of years ago.
My thought are with you and Larry. Oh, doesn't this mean that you will have more time to practice the steel guitar?

-Love,
Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  12:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Doc said I would still be able to play ukulele, but he suggested not singing too much as my words are somewhat garbled.

That never stopped me from singing...

Good luck with the Rik and feel better soon.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Julie, we are so glad it wasn't a stroke. We have a friend who recovered from Bells Palsy in a month or two - in time for Maui!!!

Dusty & Sheila
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  7:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Julie, we're praying for your recovery. Good luck and take good care of yourself.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  06:37:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm so happy to hear that you'll be okay. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you while you're recovering. Have a great new year and take care!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Julie...Take care, and my prayers are with you too. I found myself a nice Rickenbacker Model G for Christmas too. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  08:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Yikes Julie!!

Just got home from Christmas away.

I guess you had your own Nightmare before Christmas.

Glad to hear that you condition is recoverable. I don't know
exactly what Bells Palsy is (but I can google it).

When next we meet I will just assume that you are smirking the
same way I often do. But really, we will really miss your sweet
soprano, so recover ASAP.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  09:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Glad to hear you are doing better, Julie. I've known several individuals with Bell's Palsy over the years, and it didn't prevent them from continuing their careers as actors and radio personalities. They have spells that come and go, and it eventually becomes just a little nuisance for them - certainly preferable to having a stroke!

It's a bit of a shock for you to deal with at present, but I'm sure you'll do fine - and it shouldn't stop your musical soul!

Edited by - Retro on 12/27/2007 11:32:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile
e Julie,
Wanted to add my thoughts & prayers for your recovery. Looking forward to playing/singing with you again. Hope the New Year brings better times for you and your family.
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000