Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Duct tape Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Another use for this very versatile product
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cp6PbLPD738

Lee

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a hoot!

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  01:12:08 AM  Show Profile
That clip reminded me that I miss watching the kumu of duct tape, Red Green!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  03:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Impressive how quickly he can switch between the two instruments. BTW, Wanda also this posted at You tube for this week.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile
I saw this clip and thought I'd chime in. The performer is Bolo from the Big Island, Kona side. He is a very talented musician and has a unique style, combining Hawaiian with other genres (he can play traditional slack key too). Plus, he's a very nice, humble gentleman.

I met him a year ago or so when he toured with Chris Yeaton's Woodsong Acoustic Group, www.woodsongacoustics.com , here in Northern Cal. He and Chris did an awesome "'Opihi Moe Moe" duet, unlike anything I've seen, combining Chris's fingerstyle and percussive techniques with Bolo's flying fingers (from his lead guitar days--only in slack key) and improvisation.

That Woodsong concert was a special 5th Anniversary event and was stacked with world class guitarists from all kinds of genres, including fellow Taropatchers Chris Yeaton and Brenda Lippincott, grammy award winning classical guitarist William Coulter, awesome bassist Michael Manring, Gordon Rowland (first time I've seen "Classical Gas" played live), Adam Werner (Michael Hedges style, he also played the harp guitar), and Teddy Randazzo, Jr. (mindblowing finger and percussive style). The concert was in a small school house theater (where the first concert was held five years prior) that couldn't hold more than 100 people. Imagine, getting to see all this talent in a small, acoustic setting for $15. Amazing.

Chris's Woodsong Acoustic concerts are a "must see." Not only will you hear beautiful music, but you will see cutting-edge innovation that pushes the boundaries of the guitar. Chris, are you guys touring N. Cal this year? Keep the music coming.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:39:11 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Doug. I saw Bolo perform live at The Kona Brewing Company in Kona last summer. The guy is a heck of a talent. Chris is no slouch either. Those boys can play.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  02:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Whoa Braddahs and sistaʻs! das not duct tape cuz! dat is velcro! And yes the braddahʻs can jam! Keoki
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
that is impressive!

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt
Go to Top of Page

kawikasurf
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  06:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Send kawikasurf a Yahoo! Message
I had discovered that clip previously while ranging through Bolo's other YouTube vids and loved it. In addition to his being wonderfully talented, I admire him for devising what has to be the most elegant solution ever to a completely non-existent problem.

Edited by - kawikasurf on 03/05/2008 08:33:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile
Much cheaper than a custom double- neck guitar/ukulele.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

kawikasurf
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  06:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Send kawikasurf a Yahoo! Message
Showcases his verstility but, musically, was it an enhancement to the song? Matter of personal taste, I guess. Doesn't mean I don't absolutely love it as an over-the-top gesture.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  2:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey, maybe some custom builder see opportunity here!

Wind Machine (retired Colorado group) used to use a a double-neck guitar to have the whole five-piece band playing on "one" instrument....
Two on each fretboard..and then the drummer would drum (with sticks) on the solid body of electric...of course, to be dramatic, it was a cumulative process!
But maybe with a little more duct tape (until custom builder see divine calling) one of our Taropatch O'hana can make mo' beta...

The problem with duct tape --or even masking tape, as I discovered for a set list attachment--may remove finish!
At one workshop, Cliff Eberhardt, glanced at our super-nice designer guitars, (he was the
Star, we the hacker-wannabees) and say...."GEEZ, my guitar mostly Super-Glue"!
The King of boring anecdotes (instead of notes)...kapila

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000