Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Healing and Playing for Peace
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  08:00:10 AM  Show Profile
This morning, after much time away from guitar and slack practice...
I took out the Goodall and relaxed into Taropatch spaces...and noticed that it was nearly to the moment in 2006, at 10 AM MST, I held my Mom for her last breath...
I hadn't been able to figure out why I'd been feeling a little (or a lot) "out of sorts" the last few days...kinda figured I was over all that...
But as I sat in a sunny window and played--the tune I usually go for when I'm rusty--
"Moe Uhane"...
I played it simply for the calmness and quiet feeling it evokes...and felt cherished memories, warmth, and an accepting sadness.
Sometimes I forget why I took this (or any) part of music challenges up...
Heck, I ain't never gonna be a Grammy Great on Guitar!
But there are moments of peace...maybe that's enough. Just playing for the joy of being here, for the joy of friends and family, and sometimes (mostly), for quieting a busy mind.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about your mom Gordon, some kinds of loss just never go away.

But that is as it should be, memories of joy are there too.

From one of my favorite songs:

"Thorn upon the Rose" (last verse)

Win or lose it's just the same
Tears of joy tears of pain
They're hand in hand, they come as one
You'll never see the moon without the promise of the sun
For all the bruises, for all the blows
I'd rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

So when you pick the handsome flower
Don't forget the thorn upon the rose
It's cut is deep and the scar lasts forever
It follows love wherever love goes.

Written by Julie Matthews and popularized by Mary Black.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/21/2008 07:14:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  09:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Gordon,

Thanks for sharing your personal moment with all of us.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your story, Gordon. I'm certain many of us can relate to it and probably play for similar reasons. I kept one of my guitars in my office for many years, yes so I could practice, but also because of the peace it brought me to play it for even a few minutes on a stressful day or to calm myself before a presentation.

I also recently lost my father and my very young grandson, both of whom loved to hear me play. They both passed away at home, my father with just me present and our grandson with all of us there. I played for my grandson a lot during his last days because it seemed to bring him peace. And it does help me to play whenever I'm missing them or wishing that things could have been different. My Dad is in Hawaii but my grandson is here and I take my guitar (if the Pacific Northwest weather lets me) every time I visit him. It does make me feel better to remember how wide-eyed and mesmerized he seemed to be by the sight and the sound of my fingers moving on the strings.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for sharing such an intimate thought on the Patch.

When I went home to Oahu I bought a guitar just to have one to play. I was able to take it to the grave sight of my father-in-law and my x-wife who are buried side by side. I was able to play a few pieces on an unusually sunny day in the middle of a large storm. I believe the weather broke so I could be there and play for both of them. It helps me heal when I am allowed to do such things.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Aaaahhhhh, music is a wonderful thing. I don't know how I could have ever survived the storms that life throws at all of us now and then without it. Maybe I'd be in the looney bin. I feel it is such a blessing to be able to make music.

I too have a special emotional attachment to slack key and Hawaiian music in general. My mom exposed me to Hawaiian music, and since I only got to know her in the last 2 years of her life, it helps me remember her everytime I sit down and play. We found we were so much alike, and I felt that we were cheated out of so much that we could have shared together had we gotten to know each other sooner. The music keeps her close in my mind and heart. I just wish I could share with her what I've learned since her passing.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. Good post!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  02:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Music can do many things! Music can come from many places.. I kinda think Jazz and Classical come from the head, Hawaiian,soul, Country- from da heart , and Well psychedelic rock & especially rap - da mid-range points near da chest &hips. (OK! den), i think we have all observed each kind of music at one point and how it changes our attitudeʻs. All of these music can affect us some how and diffently? I think we should choose our tools wisely cause each music has a time and place. Scientists have studied sound for a long time. Itʻs proven that certain frequencies can cause mood swings in humans and even make plants grow faster...i think they call it da "stress" effect or someting like it. I remember at Sun Bear Produce in S. Kona did a test study on their lettuce plants with dis sonic machine and and did it ever Work! Plants grew 50-70% faster!!! it was increbile! The problem was by the end of the day, all of his workers were extremely agitated and even caused some of them to stress out! Now Iʻm not sure if they were stressing ova da frequencies or not or maybe dey was mad cause faster growing plants mean gotta work faster? But after they stopped using the sonic machine.. i was told peoples was getting along much mo betta. plus de started playing hawaiian music cdʻs for the workerʻs instead and I think that we all can agree that dat is da best medicine of all!!!
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Did the Hawaiian music have any effect on the plants?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Paul, you beat me to it because I was wondering the same thing when I read that!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  11:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
You know I never bothered to ask that question? I think every thing was going well at the farm till the wild cattle came in and trampled his lettuces fields for like 2 years straight. Maybe the cattle were attracted to the music they heard coming through the forest and the sound of the ol dayʻs drew them to eating all the ti-leafs and knocking over the stone walls? I donʻt think the music hurt the plants as bad as the cows!?!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Since we're on the subject...
I've decided to start a Cow College, that's really for COWS, not cowboys!
Apologies to Aggies everywhere ( our Colorado cow college is CSU)
Anyway, we're gonna teach 'em English!
To help them get their confidence up, we're gonna start with MOO.

MOO Beta.
Also, for equal time to the pigs...
we will offer Pig Latin.
Of-way Ase-bay.
Courses Not available on Ebay.
OLE!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page