Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ki Ho'alu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  06:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Why do some people write it like this? I read in a Cyril and Led interview that kiho means key and 'alu means slack. Can someone please clarify this for me? Mahalo nui loa!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Could it maybe have been a typo in the article? It is in the Hawaiian Dictionary as:

ki ho.'alu [can't reproduce it in the forum, but the i has a kahako over it, and so does the o]

n. Slack key (the first and last strings of the guitar are tuned to D, instead of E; the strings are picked individually and are not chorded).

Whatever one might think of the definition given ;-) the term breaks into two words in Hawaiian, 1) ki [with kahako] and 2) ho'alu [with kahako over the o].

Ki is in the dictionary, where you will find this:

ki [with kahako]
6. nvt. Key, latch; key, pitch, and clef in music;....

You can also find ho'alu under 'alu in the dictionary, where you will find this:

ho.'alu To slacken, loosen, hang down, bend down, stoop; depression, slack. Ki ho'alu, slack key. (PPN kalu.)

'Alika, since you are learning Hawaiian you might be interested in how the word ho'alu breaks down. It is 'alu with the prefix ho- [with kahako], which is also in the dictionary:

ho- [with kahako]

Caus/sim. marker before glottal stop and short vowel or before long vowel or vowels, as 'ike, ho'ike, 'a, ho'a, ho'a'a. [kahako don't show here] Gram. 6.4.

That basically means that the prefix ho- [with kahako], like related prefixes ho- [without kahako] and ho'o, change the meaning of the root word to indicate "causation" or "simulation".

In plain English, it means it "makes" something like the root word (causation).

Now I will stop because everyone has a headache already!

aloha,
Sarah

edited - removed those garbled 'okina and kahako font code numbers

Edited by - Sarah on 01/13/2008 09:50:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,

As always, mahalo for your thoughtful response.

quote:

I find it interesting that you can use the font codes and they work well when you "Preview" the message, but when you post, it doesn't work. I brought this up with Andy a while back. Maybe there's a way this can be incorporated into the Snitz code.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  2:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I never quite figured it out. I think that the database that Taropatch.net uses does not support unicode. This would explain why it works in preview mode but not once posted. I haven't had time to thoroughly investigate and understand this issue.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  01:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Could it maybe have been a typo in the article? It is in the Hawaiian Dictionary as:

ki ho.'alu [can't reproduce it in the forum, but the i has a kahako over it, and so does the o]

n. Slack key (the first and last strings of the guitar are tuned to D, instead of E; the strings are picked individually and are not chorded).

Whatever one might think of the definition given ;-) the term breaks into two words in Hawaiian, 1) ki [with kahako] and 2) ho'alu [with kahako over the o].

Ki is in the dictionary, where you will find this:

ki [with kahako]
6. nvt. Key, latch; key, pitch, and clef in music;....

You can also find ho'alu under 'alu in the dictionary, where you will find this:

ho.'alu To slacken, loosen, hang down, bend down, stoop; depression, slack. Ki ho'alu, slack key. (PPN kalu.)

'Alika, since you are learning Hawaiian you might be interested in how the word ho'alu breaks down. It is 'alu with the prefix ho- [with kahako], which is also in the dictionary:

ho- [with kahako]

Caus/sim. marker before glottal stop and short vowel or before long vowel or vowels, as 'ike, ho'ike, 'a, ho'a, ho'a'a. [kahako don't show here] Gram. 6.4.

That basically means that the prefix ho- [with kahako], like related prefixes ho- [without kahako] and ho'o, change the meaning of the root word to indicate "causation" or "simulation".

In plain English, it means it "makes" something like the root word (causation).

Now I will stop because everyone has a headache already!

aloha,
Sarah

No I don't! lol

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Is 'alu another way of saying slack? Take the song that has my Hawaiian name as a title, for example.

'Alu'alu 'ole 'iho
(not slack)

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Is 'alu another way of saying slack? Take the song that has my Hawaiian name as a title, for example.

'Alu'alu 'ole 'iho
(not slack)

I'm blushing. You are way too young to be using such language!

(Sorry. I read it with the kaona in the context of the rest of the song.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  06:55:40 AM  Show Profile
'Alika,

E kala mai, I forgot to include the definition of 'alu from the dictionary. Here are both 'alu and 'alu'alu:

'alu
vi. Depression, gutter, ravine; lines of the hand, loose skin over the eyeball; tuck in a garment, shirring, ruffling; descent, as of trail or road; of low rank (Kep. 125); to bend, duck, hang, sag, slacken, stoop; to relax; to ruff, as a mat. Cf. pü'alu. Ho'ailona 'alu, tuck creaser, of a sewing machine. Ho'onoho 'alu, to make tucks, shirring; tucker on a sewing machine. Mea hana 'alu, tucker. Wela ka hao, 'alu ka uwea, the iron is hot, bend the wire [now is the time for fun, a saying originating at the Honolulu Iron Works]. Ua 'alu ihola kapaniolo e lälau i ka p#363;#699;olo, the cowboy leaned down to pick up the package.

'alu.'alu
nvs. Loose, flabby; misshapen, as a premature baby; slack, as a rope; to sag; wrinkled, uneven, rough, lined; foetus; skin, rind, peel. Hua 'alu'alu, egg with very soft shell. Keiki 'alu'alu, premature baby. Pala 'alu'alu ka 'ai a kamali'i, mostly peel when matured are the food crops of children [infants are not strong enough to make good farmers]. hö.'alu.'alu To slacken, loosen; to make gathers, as in a skirt; a gatherer, as on sewing machines; yielding, loose, flexible, soft. (PPN kalukalu.)

Usually, when a word is “reduplicated”, as it is called when it is doubled up like 'alu'alu, the meaning stays basically the same concept but the reduplication is sort of an intensifier – showing increased action or greater frequency of the action, or it being done by a lot of people.The book Hawaiian Grammar, by Samuel Elbert and Mary Kawena Pukui, discusses reduplication as found in Hawaiian words.

In the line you quote, the 'ole that follows 'alu'alu negates it, meaning *not loose* or conversely, taut and firm. The iho that follows 'ole is a directional "down" that is somewhat idiomatic as far as I can tell -- idiomatic in the way that when we say "Eat up your food," the word "up" is not literal, but figurative. Maybe someone else can explain it better

Aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

I find it interesting that you can use the font codes and they work well when you "Preview" the message, but when you post, it doesn't work. I brought this up with Andy a while back. Maybe there's a way this can be incorporated into the Snitz code.
I've been testing out Hawaiian unicode to see if we can incorporate proper use of kahakō and 'okina. Check it out here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000