Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Clicking Picks--timing question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  12:02:40 PM  Show Profile
BINFORD is the only tool maker we really need. They would make one with a lawn tractor engine for Tim The Tool Man.
Actually, I work with people who use air-powered gasket scrapers and such.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  4:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
This may be off the initial topic, but how many Slack Key Guitarists (whether they be name recording artists, or public perfomers, or home alone performers) play with (like me) just the flesh of their fingers? In fact, I've been teased because I'm always filing down anything that I can feel with another finger. But I kind of like the soft (chickified?) sound I get. Although I'll admit it's tough to cut through when I'm playing with other people (I make up for it by singing loud). Maybe the flesh players just had no input on nails...

Bill

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  6:08:16 PM  Show Profile
I saw a clip where Tommy Emmanuel said he plays with caloused finger tips. Too bad, he could have been realy good!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  04:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Well he plays solo, and amplified, so volume's not an issue for him!

Tommy Emmanuel also sometimes uses a flatpick, sometimes a thumbpick. He's of the opinion that different techniques are better for different types of playing, so he's learnt several ways.

He's obviously a genius and can play anything he wants. But this is a good point. Most people learn one way and stick to it. Those of us who use 'props' like picks or nails are rendered helpless if we lose, or break the props. If you're happy with the sound you make, then our 'bare finger' way is the better way.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  05:38:12 AM  Show Profile
I have short nails (window washer) and sometimes play without picks. I use a Golden Gate thumbpick and Dunlop Brass finger picks bent over the top of the fingers ala Earl Scruggs. Us humans are full of clicks, pops, and other sound effects. Ever listen to yourself chew? The noise is proof that a human is in action.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 01/21/2008 05:39:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile
We had a workshop with Jeff Peterson last week and he gave some very good reasons why natural nails and flesh from fingers are both good. If you can just see your fingernail past the end of your finger, looking from the palm side it is just about the right length. You should taper it from the corner to the center on the side of the nail that is the first to contact the string. this provides a nice transition from flesh to fingernail and nice tone. Why limit your creative playability with no nails or with WWotW nails (Wicked Witch of the West).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Many players here are fans of Keola Beamer's, who uses mostly fingernails and of Led Ka'apana, who uses picks. But they have vastly different style and repertoire. Keola's songs are often slower and Led's are usually more upbeat, where the clicking is less noticeable. So if you're laying a Beamer arrangement, the clicks would stand out more. Led's repertoire are mostly traditional songs where the song is more important than guitar technique.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  1:26:12 PM  Show Profile
At the SoCal Slackfest, the only performer that I noticed with a thumbpik was George Kahumoku, Jr. Also the only one with a 12-string guitar. The overwhelming majority of guitars were Taylors though. Just Cyril and George without.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  1:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Cyril often uses a thumbpick too.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  4:35:11 PM  Show Profile
I've noticed much stronger nails during the full moon,
and at that time, I can play with my teeth with no clicking...or noone says anything...
I finally get respect,
but a blood-curdling tone..
...and then my facial hair gets in the way...aaaaoooooohhhhh!
Also, can't play after sun comes up.
Weird.
Hey, tonight's the night.
Lock the doors.
Werewolf in the taropatch.
Where wolf?
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  4:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like Da Kine Fractured Fairy Tales.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  6:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Once upon one time....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly