Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 parlor guitars on Oahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Any ideas? I am looking for the best deal without too much sacrifice on the sound quality. Just enrolling in lessons at Kaimuki highschool continuing ed classes this week. So I am a super beginner.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Ginny

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:38:53 PM  Show Profile
You may want to check out Hawaii Music Supply or Koolau Ukulele site
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  04:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 808bk

You may want to check out Hawaii Music Supply or Koolau Ukulele site

I'll second the Hawaii Music Supply recommendation. They have really great prices and an unbelievable selection. (And I drool everytime I go into their exclusive R Taylor room - one of the few I have been in. I can't even find one on the mainland.)

If you want an inexpensive parlor guitar, I highly recommend the Alvarez CF20K. I mistook the wood for koa but it turned out to be dao. Who cares? It has incredible tone and is incredibly lightweight and easy to play. You can get them new for less than $500 and I got mine used for $300.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

I'll second the Hawaii Music Supply recommendation.
I never heard of Hawaii Music Supply until I read about it here, and then moved on to read this morning's online Honolulu Advertiser to find an article about it there. Will definitely have to check it out next trip over.

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  06:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

I'll second the Hawaii Music Supply recommendation.
I never heard of Hawaii Music Supply until I read about it here, and then moved on to read this morning's online Honolulu Advertiser to find an article about it there. Will definitely have to check it out next trip over.

Well, that's timely! And Andrew was most modest in this interview. They wrote, "Kitakis said he brings 10 years of ukulele building and repair experience to the store." And then they laundry list the brands they carry. Andy was apparently too modest to note that the Kitakis `ohana is Ko`olau `Ukulele.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Walked around the store back in May. One of the larger music stores on Oahu.

As a beginner you can't go wrong with a Baby Taylor guitar. If it is smaller size you are looking for with a parlour guitar the regular Baby is a good substitute. The laminated back and sides will do well in the humid environment. If you are looking for a good standard size guitar at a reasonable "starter" price, try the Big Baby. My daughters each have a Taylor Baby.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  11:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
Andrew is an easy going guy, and Todd tells you like it is. I have bought 2 guitars from them since August, the latest was an R Taylor I picked up in jan.

I sat in the room and played with the 3 they had available, they left me alone, stopped in briefly to see if I had questions and in general let me make my decision based on what I wanted. Since they are almost around the corenr from me I do not need to go anywhere else for what i need.

I talked with Andrew about keyboards a few weeks back. He advised about their expansion then and was really excited about the store and future plans.

Great bunch of people who want their customers to feel at home while in their shop.

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  2:49:47 PM  Show Profile
I got one of the Pono parlors from Ko'olau 'Ukulele last September. It was one of their internet specials and for the money it's a wonderful all solid wood guitar. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  12:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Palorʻs are my favorite size. You know taylor makes them as well as martin. I once found a palor 1954 martin. paid $350.00 for it. you can find um if youʻre really looking. garage sales, estate sales, etc. check with all the storeʻs you can, look at pawn shops sometimes you just luck out...anyway...happy hunting.

Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  8:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all. I appreciate your help here. I was shut out of the guitar class I wanted to take. But I know I will need this thread in the future.

Thanks again!

I did not even know about the Hawaiian Music supply store. I was shopping at the hungry ear in Kailua.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  02:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Heard Larrivee has some new Parlors also! Happy looking!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000