Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 2008 Grammys - Best Hawaiian Music Album
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  09:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Hot off the grammy.com website -- these are the final nominees:

Best Hawaiian Music Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Ka Hikina O Ka Hau (The Coming Of The Snow)
Keola Beamer

* Hawaiiana
Tia Carrere

* He'eia
Cyril Pahinui

* Hawaiian Blossom
Raiatea Helm

* Treasures Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
Various Artists

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:59:57 AM  Show Profile
I love slack key. Having said that, I hope an individual who sings wins it this time. We could ho'omau the 'olelo lila bit.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Auntie, thanks for the scoop. Congrats to all the nominees.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  7:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Ka Hikina O Ka Hau is a little different, many interesting classical pieces, but since my parents were Symphony musicians, I recognize many of them. It is a lovely CD when you've just come home from work and are tired, hungry and totally over the top with stress, pour yourself a glass of wine while you're cooking, and listen to Keola...

Ahhhhh,

Julie

I wish they could ALL win!
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

I wish they could ALL win!

I wish they all had an equal chance. But they don't.

And the award goes to Treasures of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar.

The system is skewed by a combination of the rules and ignorance. Hawai`i's eligible Grammy voting block - as a percentage of the total voters - is much too small. So Hawai`i has almost no impact on the final winner. As for the other voters, they each only get to vote in the nine categories in which they have some knowledge or expertise. So most are not going to vote in the "Hawaiian category." And, sadly, the small minority that will still don't know enough about Hawaiian music to make an informed opinion and have probably not heard any of the eligible CDs. So they will all vote for "slack key" because that has been the "buzz word" in globally-palatable Hawaiian music for nearly the last 15 years (since George Winston launched Dancing Cat).

Personally, my vote would be torn between Cyril and Raiatea - two amazingly beautiful and amazingly Hawaiian recordings.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  07:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Personally I think Tia Carriere has the best shot of winning for the same reasons mentioned by Bill. (Especially since the voters will see a name a lot of them do recognize along with the word "Hawaiiana.")

Having said that, I'd also like to see Cyril win.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/07/2007 07:15:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  07:46:27 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to see Uncle C win. That being said, he should win for his body of work. I was disappointed by this latest album. I love his work, but he's done better stuff. This was a collection of music that was already in the can (from who knows when).
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

I'd like to see Uncle C win. That being said, he should win for his body of work. I was disappointed by this latest album. I love his work, but he's done better stuff. This was a collection of music that was already in the can (from who knows when).

Oh, I don't know. I think it was better than a few of his more recent Dancing Cat outings. But not as good as, say, "Ka Ho`oilina Mau" or "Cyril" (his first solo CD).

There is a lot more stuff in Dancing Cat's can - including at least one more collaboration from Barney Isaacs and George Kuo and one more from the late Sonny Chillingworth. I don't know what they're waiting for...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  11:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

The system is skewed by a combination of the rules and ignorance. Hawai`i's eligible Grammy voting block - as a percentage of the total voters - is much too small. So Hawai`i has almost no impact on the final winner. As for the other voters, they each only get to vote in the nine categories in which they have some knowledge or expertise. So most are not going to vote in the "Hawaiian category." And, sadly, the small minority that will still don't know enough about Hawaiian music to make an informed opinion and have probably not heard any of the eligible CDs. So they will all vote for "slack key" because that has been the "buzz word" in globally-palatable Hawaiian music for nearly the last 15 years (since George Winston launched Dancing Cat).

Bill has pretty much nailed the issue right here - but I do want to clarify one point (emphasis mine) juss a lilobit...

Voters can select up to nine fields in which they feel they have the most expertise, and there are one or many categories within each field. The "Best Hawaiian Music Album" category is within the Folk field, a field that also includes Best Traditional Folk, Best Contemporary Folk/Americana, Best Native American and Best Zydeco or Cajun Album categories.

So, if someone wants to vote for the Hawaiian Album, they have to pick the Folk field as one of their nine (and there are 31 specialized fields/110 total categories to choose from, though not everybody gets to vote on just any of them, as some technical ones are selected by committee in the first round, and Production/Engineering ones are only open to Academy members who are registered in those areas), even if they couldn't care less about Americana, or Native American, or Zydeco.

Meanwhile, there might be members who really know their Folk or Cajun material, and if they've chosen to vote in the Folk field for those albums, they can then vote on Hawaiian as well. They don't have to (I regularly decline to vote in some categories in the fields I select, if I feel I don't know the material well enough), but they can - and possibly make their choices as Bill described.

Does that mean I feel the slack key albums that have won or been nominated don't deserve their awards? Not at all, and whether or not I voted for them is irrelevant. This year, I think the winner will be a toss-up between Tia and "Treasures...", based partly on her name being recognizable, as well as the familiarity of "slack key" to voters.

Good luck to ALL the nominees, congratulations on your successes, and may you not suffer very many sleepless nights between now and February 10th.

Edited by - Retro on 12/08/2007 11:07:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  08:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I've carefully reviewed the albums under consideration and without a doubt my vote, if I had one, would go to Tia Carrere. Actually I've never heard her music but I've looked at various websites on which she's featured and I've decided that she's much more inspiring than Cyril (nothing personal here). I'd also vote for her for President and/or the MVP of the National Football Leaque. Its nice that she also reportedly makes the mele.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  09:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, it'll be interesting to see how things work out this year. People seem to be leaning towards Treasures (defend it's title from last year?) or Tia Carrere (based on name recognition).

People have been saying that Dancing Cat paved the way for slack key's wide appeal on the mainland. Now you've got two Dancing Cat albums in the mix. So Raiatea's the dark horse?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  11:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Just curious, has Keola ever won?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Bob, there have only been three winners so far, all slack key compilations (none featuring Keola).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/11/2007 1:18:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Keola will win the year he submits a Hawaiian record. This one is Classical music in altered tunings. A very good record but not Hawaiian (other than that the musician is Kanaka).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  06:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
This is slightly off-topic here, but regarding the Dancing Cat stash: I don't think it's a secret that George Winston closed down the DC operation gracefully (after the release of Martin Pahinui's excellent "Ho'olohe") because sales had declined--Ben Churchill told me that each album sold not quite as well as its predecessor, and my reading is that they decided to stop before BMG made the decision for them. (Remember, George owns the label, but distribution was in the hands of BMG by way of Windham Hill.) I was told that there was a *lot* of unreleased material and that at least some master tapes had been turned over to the artists to handle as they saw fit. (Could this include Cyril's "in the can" material that Chunky refers to?) Since then there have been a couple more DC releases--I don't know whether they were somehow in the pipeline or whether someone decided that the market could handle them or what. I don't think we've heard the last of Dancing Cat, though I wonder what kind of market conditions will allow George to continue the project.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile
"Keola will win the year he submits a Hawaiian record. This one is Classical music in altered tunings. A very good record but not Hawaiian (other than that the musician is Kanaka)."

Didn't Jethro Tull win a Heavy Metal award though?

I always thought the Grammy's were kind of funny.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000