Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ryan Kamakakehau Fernandez - falsetto!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Soooooooo glad to know that Ryan will finally be releasing his first solo CD next month -- filled with his amazingly natural falsetto voice. Great article and video here:
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4044/169/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Soooooooo glad to know that Ryan will finally be releasing his first solo CD next month -- filled with his amazingly natural falsetto voice. Great article and video here:
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4044/169/

Thanks for the best news of 2008 so far! The guy is frickin' amazing!

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
What's the likelihood of an African American orphan from Little Rock growing up in Hawai'i, graduating from a Hawaiian language immersion school, learning hula and becoming a fine falsetto singer? Amazing story and great singer.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  05:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

What's the likelihood of an African American orphan from Little Rock growing up in Hawai'i, graduating from a Hawaiian language immersion school, learning hula and becoming a fine falsetto singer? Amazing story and great singer.
About the same odds as a haole guy from Lima, OH becoming one of the greatest technicians of Hawaiian style steel guitar who ever lived.

No, probably a little less because Kamaka at least was immersed it in from his most formative years. Regardless, he is one of my heroes and I have had the pleasure of sharing a stage with him twice. And I dare not tell you about the after party in which we sang trio falsetto with some guy named Richard Ho`opi`i...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  12:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
And he's schedule to sing "live" on KGMB this Monday morning...sorry as far as i know they don't stream their videos live :(. i'm tuning in.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 808robertr

And he's schedule to sing "live" on KGMB this Monday morning...sorry as far as i know they don't stream their videos live :(. i'm tuning in.

Some segments are taped and later posted permanently to KGMB's website. For example...

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/384/108/

(By the way, Robert, I checked out your MySpace. Keauwena sounds good! Can we expect a CD soon? Also, looks like we get plenty friends in common - Tony, Barry, Chadwick, Ha`aheo... I know he is not in the group anymore, but you must know Charlie Gouveia, too!?)

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/13/2008 12:57:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile
I have been waiting for Kamaka's debut record!

This is great news. Time to pre-order the CD!

There is a short film about him too...don't have the link to that one.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  1:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Is this the same guy I posted this Aunty Genoa video from You Tube? http://youtube.com/watch?v=hEwI8TMavCY He has a mighty swell voice and I think Jesse Tinsley did the same song on his latest video.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/15/2008 02:16:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  04:18:59 AM  Show Profile
What ever became of this recording? I cannot find anything that shows it was released. We were all excited for a moment, there. He definitely has great talent -- a wonderful voice. I hope all this was not a novelty just because of his ethnicity.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, I've asked all of the distributors who supply retailers with island music -- no one has heard anything about a release from Kamaka. I even emailed him via his myspace page -- no reply. Asked music-industry friends on Maui if they'd heard anything -- again, nothing.

So we wait...sigh...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Finally! I'm so excited...

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000