Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 getting music for free
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marty
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:01:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,
In a previous post I asked where I could get tabs for Koke'e.
I guess I should have used the word "purchase". It was not my intent to try to garner "free" music. I think that artists get ripped off enough without adding to the problem.
After all, how can you play pilfered music with aloha in your heart.
Just wanted to set the record straight.
Also to say thanks for all the info that I've gotten from the other slackers here. I started here on the uke forum. Got Uncle Dave's slack uke book and am just about through it. Just picked up a nice Larrivee and I'm trying to teach these old fingers to count to six. That's why I'm in this part of the Patch.
Aloha

Surf all morning, slack key all afternoon

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  09:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marty,

Yeah, sorry to jump to conclusions. Get defensive sometimes about the tab questions.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Marty,

I ditto Andy's remarks. No intention to bust your chops. Hope you enjoy your Larrivee. Sweet guitar. See if you can find Ozzie Kotani's first book and CD. That's where most of us start. Any direct questions, feel free to email me.

dog
Go to Top of Page

marty
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  03:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dog,
Thanks for the offer of help...
I already have Ozzie's book. I was playing those songs on a bari ukulele. You can't get the heavy bass but you can make them sound pretty good if you work at fitting the bass notes in and have the bari tuned dgbd.
Again, mahalo for the offer.
marty

Surf all morning, slack key all afternoon
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile
I have an ethical question this subject, which at the risk of opening an enormous can of worms, I pose:
If one has worked out a tab of an arrangement by ear, is it okay to share the tab on such a forum as this?
Mahalo for your thoughts,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Allen M Cary

If one has worked out a tab of an arrangement by ear, is it okay to share the tab on such a forum as this?
As is addressed in the forum FAQ, any posting of copywritten material puts the site at legal risk. I think that means "no."
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The full answer is "not unless the arrangement is in the public domain or you have written permission (sent to Andy) of the copyright holder."

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:30:42 AM  Show Profile
'Nuff said--Mahalo
Allen
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  4:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Dog,

You mentioned Ozzie's first book. Does Ozzie have more than one book? If so, How do I buy $$$$$ it? I worked through Ozzie's first book and still love it. In the introduction of the book they mention making some more in a series. I really hope that there are more Ozzie books out there. He is a great teacher. I just bought his DVD, but it is mainly just his first book played live. Still it is great to see and hear him. Get a much better feel for the person.

Bruce

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ozzie only has one book at the moment and although I'm aware of plans for a second DVD I don't know if it will be accompanied by a book.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000