Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Franchise opportunity...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile
I too was amazed that carry on and gate checking was no problem for instruments. It was just cumbersome to have a checkin, a guitar and a carry on and my man bag too. I stuffed the man bag into the carryon and the guitar was welcomed inside the cabin on some airlines while gate checked on others. Untied airlines will lose musicians for passengers if other airlines are available. Alaska Air is pretty cool too.
I guess the more experienced I get the more efficient the packing will be. Calton I heard is now asking 1K for their cases with a 6 month wait. I traveled with a TRIC case which made of foam which is thermal insulation and all around cushioning for the instrument. The case is only 1 1/2 pounds so it make travel a little easier. I also forgot to mention I was spending a month plus a few days in Hawai'i so the clothing ting got a bit heavy. We shopped on O'ahu and shipped it and uneeded clothes home before going to Moloka'i. It costs a little more but shipping shopping items is a good way to get stuff home.
However I still won't put a 4ooo dollar guitar in baggage nor will I travel with it very much.
Every one has different needs and wants so it might be good to just figure out what works for you.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  3:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Those TRIC cases are the bee's knees. I've even considered buying a Seagull guitar just to get the case-- turns out you can (finally) buy them separately.

Sorry to rain on the franchise parade-- but it's really not that big a deal to fly with yer guitar.

Now, if you want to revive Saimin counters....
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  07:31:44 AM  Show Profile
well, I was gonna cut in Mark for a piece of the action...
and while this really is a bit of rehashing on a perennial topic,
The truth is, there's multiple solutions depending on your situation...
we solve this in the way best suited to our axes and gorilla arms.

My specific take was that: my violin is a MUST for business trips; so how to get a 2nd, and sometimes a 3rd instrument on without carrying Emelda's List, or Zsa-Zsa's constricting Boa guitars loaded under my arms.

Luckily, I married an efficiency expert ( I am the anti-packer--so opposites do attract!)...
Still I would love to have a guitar in Venezia this June...
but not even sure it would fit in the Renault trunk.
It was nice to see Keoki and Mark and all chip in...
But no franchise for you.
So, got the link for the Seagull "bees knees" case ?(what model am I looking for?)
Hey, I finally figured out that buzzing sound.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/20/2008 07:33:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  5:02:42 PM  Show Profile
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/tric.htm Here's one link. There are others as well.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  9:27:44 PM  Show Profile
I have an Ameritage case for my new Uke. Pretty substantial case, looks good too. There are plenty of guitar places in Europe. I didn't see any uke shops in Venice. So why don't you take the uke and violin, and rent a guitar? You can become an ammbassador in cultural exchange that way. Or, like I used to do, play the Db Piccolo. Oh, I'll see Job tomorrow, I be on Maui.

Honokowai Pete

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  03:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
WARNING! DELTA AIRLINES SUCKS FOR GUITARISTS!
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  4:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Seems like I read a post a while back about Delta refusing to allow large musical instruments to be carried on board.As I recall, Delta backed down later. It may have been on the Banjo Hangout.Was that what you are refering to, Keoki? Or are they doing more than I'm aware of?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile
My first time in Hawaii, I didn't bring a guitar. Not good.(steel)
It's nice to have friends there. Bobby Ingano brought a Fender steel over to my hotel. "Here bradda Bill, use this" Since then, I bring my 7 string Rick frypan It's lighter than the bakelites to lug around, and fits in the overhead easily.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  08:14:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keoki Kahumoku

WARNING! DELTA AIRLINES SUCKS FOR GUITARISTS!

This is agreed upon by the songwriter I travel with, who's had to fight Delta to not let his Goodall from being sent to the scrap heap/luggage check.

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  10:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
I have rented guitars twice on Hawaiian trips. Once I rented from Bounty Music, about $50 several years ago for a week with a low-end Yamaha. The second time we were going out on the Kona Aggressor for a week of diving, and I rented an Ovation from a shop near the Wal-Mart on the Big Island. Don't remeber the shop's name, but we walked up the hill from the King Kamehameha Hotel. About $60 for the week, and they threw in fresh strings at my request. They really checked it over carefully when I brought it back, looking for damage and loose braces (none occurred on my watch).
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by justplainbill

My first time in Hawaii, I didn't bring a guitar. Not good.(steel)
It's nice to have friends there. Bobby Ingano brought a Fender steel over to my hotel. "Here bradda Bill, use this" Since then, I bring my 7 string Rick frypan It's lighter than the bakelites to lug around, and fits in the overhead easily.

I carry my Jerry Byrd 8 frypan for the same reason. Plus, it's aluminum & therefore hard to break.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000