Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Cyrus Green
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:08:19 AM  Show Profile
I recently found a copy of an LP by Cyrus Green called "EverGREEN in Hawaii, Lehua Records #SP7048. It's just a beautiful album from start to finish. According to Brett Ortone's book he did two other LPs.

I see that he is going to receive a lifetime achievement award this March from the Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts, but can't find out much more about him. Can any body give some more information about him?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  9:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I pulled all three of his vinyls from my shelf -- but aside from a very brief mention that he lived on Hawai`i island and had a decades-long career as a musician, there wasn't anything substantial about him.

So I checked Kanahele's "Hawaiian Music and Musicians" -- he's not even listed in that book.

So I googled -- and came up blank there, too.

I'll take notes at the Lifetime Awards luncheon (HARA always compiles a great slide show/video about each recipient), and will post whatever is said. Be patient...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  06:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

I pulled all three of his vinyls from my shelf -- but aside from a very brief mention that he lived on Hawai`i island and had a decades-long career as a musician, there wasn't anything substantial about him.

These are the three albums recorded under his name as leader. Cyrus also recorded with Gabe Kila and the Nanakuli Sons, Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai`i, and Bill Kaiwa.

I would love to know more about him, too. The first time I heard him was on a radio tape of KCCN that an auntie in Hawai`i sent to me. The song was "Maile Swing" from the "EverGREEN Hawaiian" LP and I have been a fan ever since.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile
And sometime during the very late 1950s, Cyrus Green was a member of Billy Gonsalves' Paradise Serenaders.

Quoting from the liner notes of their CD:
"Cyrus Green had become a leader in the group, but left in 1961 to get married"

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  07:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to both of you for trying yo help. It's a little curious for someone to be so highly honored, to be so obscure. The one album of his that I have is just so great. It just made me want to know more about him.

Maria, do they tape the HARA luncheon you refer too?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Yes, but only as an archive for HARA. Parts of it will be included during the Na Hoku Hanohano Award broadcast (June 17), when they pay tribute to each honoree.

Cyrus' daughter has been a source of some information for HARA -- so I'm hopeful that the luncheon will provide us _all_ with more details about this wonderfully talented man.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Kaohi
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
On the day of Hawaii became the 50th State, I believe Cyrus Green sang her song "Kaulana Na Pua" on the steps of Kawaihao Church or the Iolani Palace. Can anyone confirm this?

Kaohi
Go to Top of Page

robert kam
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile
I went to school with Cyrus at Iolani. He graduated in 1952 and at that time he was into music. After graduation he moved to the Big Island and I know that he was playing music there. I do have his Evergreen LP which I bought at the Honolulu Sears a while back. I'm pleased that he is going to be recognized for his talents after all these years. He had a beautiful voice and should have been better known in the Islands.

Aloha...Robert Kam

robert kam
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  04:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Robert, Thanks for the info about Cyrus. I agree. Cyrus's "EverGREEN" LP is really beautiful.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  10:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
there is also an lp called slack sax which featured cyrus, gabe baltazar and others playing traditional hawaaiin songs to big band. wish i could find it...
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  06:27:42 AM  Show Profile
"Slack Sax" -- just saw 2 vinyls at Jelly's Music (O`ahu) on Saturday...give them a call.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  3:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Uncle Robert Kam loaned me a vinyl copy of Cyrus Green's album "EverGREEN Hawaiian". I just now copied it into ProTools so I can make him a CD. What an unbelievable voice and great players behind him. He was known as the Enrico Caruso of Kona. Now I see why.

dog
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  4:16:58 PM  Show Profile
We've talked about getting some of the videos from the LTA's on the HARA site, as well as getting bios of all of the honorees. Going to take some time but getting there.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Here on this compilation CD, you can hear Cyrus Green singing "Kaulana Na Pua". Very powerful indeed.
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/genoa+keawe/hawaiian+classics/

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Wanda.....it's indeed very beautiful.

Robert Kam: Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile
As promised, I took notes at yesterday's Lifetime Achievement Awards luncheon so everyone could learn more about the elusive Cyrus Green. Got to meet his two daughters and two grand-kids...and the tribute to him was very touching. His daughter Wati told me they are working on an anthology CD, hoping to release it before the end of this year. Uiha! Here's some background...

Cyrus Lamb Green -- born Honolulu April 1934; passed away (too young!) March 1982. Second of 4 children born to Harry Wiggin Green & Jeannie Ka`ehukai Nahale. Raised in Kalihi & Liliha; moved to Manoa in early 1940s. Graduated `Iolani 1952. Played bars, lounges and showrooms in Honolulu & Waikiki. When Tihati Productions offered him the headliner job at their new King Kamehameha Hotel show in Kona, he packed up his family and moved there permanently.

A quote from the luncheon's program:
Composer and producer Johnny K. Spencer once said of him, "He was to Kona, what Enrico Caruso was to Italian opera!"

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000