Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Franchise opportunity...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  01:06:01 AM  Show Profile
What if...
instead of another Quizno's, we had a franchise...
"A Guitar in Every Port!"

instead of lugging guitars, violins, ukuleles and any of our favorite things to strum as we finally go to our well-deserved getaways...howze about a way to:
--stash a DECENT guitar (and for me a violin) in each of my favorite places to travel!

When I rented and played for a service at Chapel of the Chimes-- an "OK" violin from Ifshin violins in Berkeley (at a good rental price--well that was a good find...but then, that's in the Bay Area) AND the acoustics in Julia Morgan's Chapel are sweet, which Greatly Enhanced a mediocre Chinese violin.

So when you can't plug into your digital world (or don't want to haul that), and there's no Chapel of the Chimes, or not even a nicely tiled bathroom to augment our natural Talent and Reverb (isn't that the same thing?)...
How do we get maximum quality when we are traveling?

Shouldn't we be setting up an array of instrument stashes around the world?
I'd leave one with the proverbial girl in every port, but my wife would kill me...and the expense of several guitars/fiddles--not to mention the H,O and H (Harem Overhead and Headaches, aka "H2O"), would not work financially.
Valentine #1 says I should sleep with one eye open if I pursue this option.

With airlines (like for instance one that ends in TED and begins with UNI) tightening up carry-ons AND NOW CHECKED BAGS TOO!...and since it appears likely I will be travelling alone more--and thusly, NO SHERPA...
And since my nick-name is already, "He who carries too much stuff"...
Besides, looking like a Bell-Hop is not the way a star should have to travel.

But, as we've all discussed or noticed, most rental guitars are lousy, cardboard boxes with frets...
I want some quality...not necessarily my Goodall...but something SIMPLE that still is fun to play.

Any other ideas on how we can have a Guitar (or other instruments) in every port?
I figure one guitar on Big Island, one in California, maybe one in Tuscany or Provence, Colorado Home Guitar (of course), and then the occassional one in the Azores.
I got dibs on the franchise on the Big Island.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/15/2008 01:11:39 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  02:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps a "subscri[tion" service -- subscribe to the guitar stas on Big Island where they would guarantee you a quality guitar, depending on the kala you would be willing to pay. $25.00/week for Harmony; $300 week for Mahtin, whatevah.

Or time shares -- you and No`eau and whoevah all chip in for one geetah that you leave safely stashed at the geetah pick up store.

If you could figure how to do geocaching without the termites, maybe that would work.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  03:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Kapila Kane: I can relate to that. I just went on a three week trip with no guitar.......it was really tough!

I have a few ideas:

1) Start a network of "Bed breakfast & guitar" getaways.

2) Try to get Taropatch members to sign up to trade their homes with instruments included for vacations.

3) Start a new section on the Taropatch forum for "Instruments to rent or loan".

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  05:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Or get a good "cheap" guitar that is indestructable. Some of the composite boxes aren't too bad. They help scratch the itch.
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  06:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
I like the idea of the rent or loan section in Taropatch.
When I go over to the islands I usually bring my golf clubs.
Now that I have taken up guitar and ukulele I'd have
to start getting charged for extra luggage plus the
worrying about a guitar in the luggage bay.
Les
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile
good, others care!
I thought it was just another of my sleepless in Lakewood tirades.
Of course, as we get better, our standards for a decent guitar go up...
but I'll deal with that...
For me, maybe something in the Takamine or something...
but then we get into variants of neck width and subtle things...
like sound!
Still...I've used some very limited boxes...and happy to have those...
My La Petrie parlour/classic style is pretty decent...except small for this 6'4, long armed guitarilla!
And that leads to increased Right arm muscle complaints...
I don't think that getting guitars on board is yet too tricky...but may change, and does for certain airlines and especially when you get Valdemort for a gate agent.

And for me, when I HAVE to have a fiddle (for gigs)...then the guitar becomes expendable for a couple days...but it's what I like to play for R and R.
So it seems any ONE instrument is pretty safe to get onboard...
esp. ukes, fiddles, or a guitar...ONE!
But I will never try to do the 2 instrument plus briefcase trick I managed that one year to Maui --with a transfer, it was a big risk...and then at the baggage claim I added a guitar in a road case...where's my bell-hop? Probably out in the parking lot going lolo.
And it helps to be nice to gate agents too!

I won't mind a few character dings in a lend/lease road guitar...
or maybe the Raintree indestructable route...there again...you're toting more stuff.
If there's a good road/cheakable case..
check it and leave the Sherpa at home...or at least let her/him travel in high fashion...no arm-loads of stuff.
But the road cases are bulky and have to fit in the rental Morris Minor!

One of our Colorado super-pickers from the old Nitty Gritty Dirt Band...
now plays solo, and has to check (and pay) for 4 checked instruments!
What a hassle.
Bed and Breakfast with guitars I like
also good stores and affable friends with guitars is nice...
But sometimes on the Big Island...
the rental was just a basic box...
WHEN we get our place over there...
there's gonna be something pretty good waitin' for me!
Maybe I need someone to keep it singin' and in repair in a humid climate...not just sittin' in the corner closet decomposing!
So, how about:
GUITAR TIME-SHARES!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/15/2008 09:11:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Hard questions with no easy answer. I find it hard to justify an expensive instrument($2,000 and up)even for home use. The One Checked Bag rule is going to make clothing more of a problem,esp. if we carry a guitar. Ship clothes ahead, and check the guitar in a good flight case, may be the answer. The travel guitars I've tried sound poor to mediocre, cheap instruments usually play and sound bad. Last April, I took a Mountain Dulcimer to Hawaii as it was small enough for the cverhead bins. A couple times, the Attendant put it into the closet. Rentals have been discussed here before, and the cost seemed prohibitive. Someone suggested buying a cheaper guitar in Hawaii, and giving it away when we leave for home. But then you're back to a guitar that doesn't play worth crap. Getting accustomed to a guitar you don't play regularly takes some playing time, unless the dimensions/action are pretty close to what we normally play.
The answer? How about a small-bodied not-overly expensive second guitar good enough to play some at home,as well as on the road. Use a dreadnaught case so there's extra room for clothing, which helps with the suitcase rules, and cushions the guitar. I'd opt for the small-bodied Seagull, or similar from Takemine, or a couple other makes in that price range. Just not sure it's worth it for a couple weeks a year. But us multi-instrument folks may have other options. I wouldn't hesitate to take a dulcimer again. If I played ukulele,mandolin, or fiddle, those would be options as well. Actually, I can transfer enough guitar to Wanda's uke to get me through a week or so away from my guitar. A baritone uke may be the best answer, short of starting a guitar borrowing club. But what if several of us all showed up at once?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  9:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
...This idea of having guitars stashed goes way back to the early 20ʻs. I remember hearing stories of how certain families were gifted with an instrument or instruments and they were in charge of bringing it to the party, etc..and when some entertainers would come through, instruments would show up at gatherings for them to borrow...

over the years, itʻs great to run into some neat instruments. As a traveling a musician, nothing would be better than to have a special place made just for instruments in all modes of transportation...till then we have graphite and duct tape!

And, yes here on the Big Island it has been rumored that selective borrowing has gone on in the instrument trade. In Kaʻu we have been blessed with about 15 guitarʻs and 25 ukuleleʻs some of which have been on loan to our students and residence of Kaʻu. Kinda like an instrument library. We have some beaters and some that are ready to plug in an rock. Itʻs really nice when you can get things together with people who love music and want to share that love of music with otherʻs.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  04:17:30 AM  Show Profile
I am thinking back to the thread started by Mark about travelling with good guitars. It seems safe enough.
Why not get a "Clam" case for $220 and take you favorite guitar(s)... the one you practice with all the time and like so much?
You got to carry it but you can use a cart or the case wheels.
Why wouldnt this be a good way to have a good guitar?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  2:09:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

I am thinking back to the thread started by Mark about travelling with good guitars. It seems safe enough.
Why not get a "Clam" case for $220 and take you favorite guitar(s)... the one you practice with all the time and like so much?
You got to carry it but you can use a cart or the case wheels.
Why wouldnt this be a good way to have a good guitar?

I don't think he's saying it wouldn't be a good idea for one instrument, but Kapila Kane is talking about a guitar, ukulele and violin, not to mention other stuff that would be nice to have like luggage for clothes and stuff and maybe a computer or whatever.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  10:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I just returned from Molokai, carried two of my Medusas as carry ons both ways on Alaska, Go!, and Mokulele Airlines with no qualms and no problems. They fit in 3/4 size gig bags. Last year on the same trip I carried on both a full sized Taylor and a Medusa, the Taylor in a hard case. That was on Northwest Airlines. I just don't (or haven;t yet) see a problem.
Of all the guitars at camp this winter, I would guess only half, or maybe only 1/3 were brought in Caltons or other expensive protective cases. All the others were in the regular hard shell cases, I saw two older Taylors in the plywood cases. A few of the travel guitars were in soft gig bags like mine. I heard no horror stories.
G.B., just take a fiddle and a good travel guitar with you.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  01:04:22 AM  Show Profile
Karl - you are a boy and can take two carry ons which are instruments. For the ladies who travel with instruments, what do you do with the two carry-on bag rule? That two-bag limit includes your purse. I've learned to always take night gown, medicines, make up, blow dryer, etc. in a carry on, in case luggage gets lost/damaged (has happened to me previously - makes me grumpy). Also - more luggage coming home, because I have to buy "stuff".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  06:19:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keoki Kahumoku

...This idea of having guitars stashed goes way back to the early 20ʻs. I remember hearing stories of how certain families were gifted with an instrument or instruments and they were in charge of bringing it to the party, etc..and when some entertainers would come through, instruments would show up at gatherings for them to borrow...

I did something very similar to this just last week. I had always enjoyed the cuts that Led Kaapana does on some of his CD's in which he plays the autoharp. I knew he was going to be coming to our area for a concert with Mike Ka`awa and Fran Guidrey. Through the promoter I was able to get in touch with his wife Sharon and I asked her if Led could bring his autoharp. She said it was a very difficult instrument to travel with, but if I could get one and bring it to the concert, Led would consider playing it. I went to a local music store and talked to them and they agreed to rent me one for the night, for a small fee.
Led ended up playing 4 songs with it and the crowd was treated to the rare experience of seeing Led's virtuosity on the autoharp. It was well worth the effort

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  09:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Wanda,
I pack my extra clothing, fruit, snacks, water bottle, vitamins, books to read, etc., in the gig bag with my guitars :}
This year at camp I could have brought all i needed inside the two gig bags had i not decided to try some fishing while at camp; that required room for a rod, reel, lures, water boots, etc..
I know my wife could not do without her purse, either, so I do get the message.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Also, last time i was in Kauai, Bounty Music in Kapa'a rented guitars for a reasonable fee. Not sure if they still do, but perhaps other stores in other cities do the same.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:56:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

That two-bag limit includes your purse.

I use a fanny-pack purse---then it's clothing <EG> That still leaves me with a roomy briefcase and a backpack for carryon.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000