Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Looking for the music to Andy Iona's "Sand"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  08:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have an idea where I can get the sheet music for Andy Iona's "Sand"?

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  2:46:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Dunno, but Baz Henriquez posted the words in his mag a couple of issues ago. I recommend the Jerry Byrd video on YouTube with Gary Aiko (he played and sang with Auntie Genoa at the Marriott) on vocals. You can pick it up from there. A note: to get his intro, Jerry plays in D, but the Jules Ah See recording from the 40's and Billy Hew Lin on the "Hawaiian Rainbow" VHS/DVD do it in C (mo' bettah for Ki'hoalu).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  12:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Keaka! Pehea 'oe? Feeling any better? You can let us know in the topic we have going on about you in "talk story." Hope everything is maika'i with you and your wahine.

Me ke aloha,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  03:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Dunno, but Baz Henriquez posted the words in his mag a couple of issues ago. I recommend the Jerry Byrd video on YouTube with Gary Aiko (he played and sang with Auntie Genoa at the Marriott) on vocals. You can pick it up from there. A note: to get his intro, Jerry plays in D, but the Jules Ah See recording from the 40's and Billy Hew Lin on the "Hawaiian Rainbow" VHS/DVD do it in C (mo' bettah for Ki'hoalu).

Gary's version is absolutely beautiful. (He and Jerry recorded it together more than 30 years ago on Gary's first solo CD.) And Owana Salazar's version is gorgeous, as well - very sultry.

To be fair to Gary's resumé, he does not live in the shadow of his mother - although their gig together is his most recent. He started with Don Ho at Honey's in the early 1960s with a crew that included Kui and Nani Lee, Zulu, Tony Bee, Marlene Sai, and Sonny Chillingworth... Then starred in the Hawaii Calls broadcasts from the mid-1960s until it went off the air in 1974... Then performed and recorded with his brothers... Then performed regularly at the Halekulani Hotel when they brought back Hawaiian music every evening starting in 1978... Then led a 1940s revival revue (with big band a la Harry Owens and Johnny Noble) at the Ilikai Hotel in the late 1980s through early 1990s... And only began performing with his mom in the early 1990s when she began performing at the Marriott (then Regent) in the early 1990s.

But the best place to hear Gary has always been on his regular visits to the Kahala Mandarin where he would add an occasional vocal to Betty Loo Taylor's beautiful piano playing. I don't believe she is there anymore, either. That is a pity.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
From Aloha Dream Magazine

Part two later.
and a link to the audio (Just for educational purposes)

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/01sand.mp3

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 03/12/2008 09:13:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Part Two

From Aloha Dream Magazine

and a link to the audio (Just for educational purposes)

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/01sand.mp3

And a couple of other versions
Broadcast

Sand Live

Take off of Jules

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 03/12/2008 09:02:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  3:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Very cool Basil, thanks
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile
"Sand" fell off the guitar in "taropatch" in "C" position. Really easy to get the D9 and Gaug-b9.
I've been working on it with Slipry1. Cool tune.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

"Sand" fell off the guitar in "taropatch" in "C" position. Really easy to get the D9 and Gaug-b9.
I've been working on it with Slipry1. Cool tune.

Yeah. It only works for a C6 tuning with a G on the top (G E C A) because those are the same intervals for the A6 tuning (E C# A F#) that's on the top of the B11 tuning. You need a bar slant to get the II-7 chord, though, or tune the lower G (string 5) to an F#. I think that maybe Gabby used this C6 tuning for his version of "How'd Ya Do", since it's in C - and he did use the tuning a lot when he played on an 8 string steel. If we need more comments to this, let's shift it to the steel page.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  5:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the post Basil! Very cool article and tab. I am new to the steel, but I have found a good used 6 string lap steel and an 8 string lap steel and find it completely addictive.

What kind of bar do you recommend using?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000