Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Quick Q&A: John Cruz – One of These Days
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  06:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

TP = Andy (Taropatch.net)
John = John Cruz

TP: Congrats on the release and success of One of These Days. I think your fans will find a fresh yet familiar sound in the new album. It's been more than 10 years since the release of your debut album, Acoustic Soul. Can you talk about what this album means to you and how it all came together?

John: It was a fresh, new burst of energy -- something I could really get excited about. It was time. Fans have been waiting more than 10 years for this album and I was ready to finally put it together.

TP: Jack Johnson says that you are one of his favorite songwriters. What was the writing process like for the songs on One of These Days? Are these new songs, songs born 6-7 years ago or all of the above?

John: Most songs on "One of These Days" are old songs that I'd tried recording 7 or 8 years ago, but that I didn't quite capture. It was frustrating and put me in a writer's block state of mind. I wanted to finish the songs but I just wasn't focused or inspired enough.

TP: You recorded at Jackson Browne's private studio in LA. How'd that come about and how'd you decide to record on the mainland? Can you talk about some of the other musicians on the album?

John: The recording project was sparked by Jack Johnson in 2005 when he invited me to play his Kokua Festival. Jackson was there too and said 'why don't you come record it at my place.' From there on out, it all came together fast. I wanted to involve other musicians and Jackson facilitated lining up fabulous ones. I didn't want to sit in a studio by myself overdubbing tracks like I did on "Acoustic Soul." It made immediate sense.

TP: Back in 1997, Island Style became an unofficial anthem in Hawaiʻi. Is the new album more mainstream in your mind?

John: In my mind, the new album is just a collection of songs. I cover alot of styles on this record and cover more musical ground than I did on "Acoustic Soul." I didn't intend for the new album to be mainstream -- I just wanted it to be good.

TP: Are you touring as an ensemble? Who is in the band?

John: When I tour, it's anywhere from a solo act to a 5 or 6 piece band. This time out, I have 2 old friends with me. Jan Jeffries, my percussionist, is from Philadelphia but lived in Hawaii for about 11 years. John Caban is a musical brother who lives in New York and is an excellent guitar player. He was the first musician I played with when I moved to the East Coast.

TP: I really enjoyed the DVD Made of Music: The Story of John Cruz. I was surprised at how honest and personal the interviews were. Why a DVD? Are the tough times behind you?

John: People had been wondering for the longest time why I hadn't released another record. It was a question I couldn't really answer in a sentence or two, so I decided to tell my story through a video. I wanted to let people know what had been happening in my life and a DVD seemed like the most straight forward way to answer questions people may have had.

TP: You called the East Coast home for 12 years, having lived in New York City, Martha's Vineyard and the Boston area. What was that time in your life like, and what's it like coming back to play shows here?

John: (John lived in Amherst, in Western Massachusetts, not in the Boston area). I loved living in the Northeast because it was so different from Hawaii. It allowed me to pursue things I otherwise wouldn't have been able to pursue at home. It's always a joy to come back to the East Coast because I can see good friends and reconnect with a special time in my life. Coming to New York in particular satisfies a need I have to be around all that intense energy and to recharge my musical batteries.

TP: Are you performing anywhere regularly in the islands? Where can people see you play in Hawaiʻi and elsewhere? Any big music festivals coming up?

John: I tour Hawaii a few times a year and play festivals and private parties the rest of the time. I just visited all the main islands in November and December, so now I'm focused on playing shows on the mainland and bringing the new album to other areas.

TP: Thanks for talking to Taropatch.net, John. Love the new CD and look forward to seeing you in New York next week.

John will be touring the East Coast this month and the West Coast in April 2008. Check http://www.johncruz.com/perform.html for details.

Andy
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000