Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Owana Salazar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  2:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Just returned from camp where I met Owana Salazar and heard her work for the first time. Her 2002 CD, "Wahine Slack and Steel" came home with me. Wonderful album I'd recommend to anyone. Very tasteful steel and slack key playing, and of course, her gorgeous voice.

Karl
Frozen North

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  2:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Funny - I was just listening to Owana's "Hula Jazz" at lunch today. Her version of "Kaulana o Hilo Hanakahi" is my favorite. And she's a nice person.

She'll be touring with the Ladies of Slack Key in the Seattle area in March:

March 14, 2008 Kirkland Performance Center: Kirkland, WA Ladies of Slack Key Concert Tour

March 15, 2008 Kentwood High School Performing Arts Center: Kent, WA

Owana, Cindy Combs and Brittni Paiva team up for this musical Wahine Slack Key treat. But there's more. Brittni is a rare virtuoso with her ukulele. Cindy "The Ukulele Lady" radio DJ of Hanapepe Kaua'i will tune you in with old time stories. Then there's the sweet Hawaiian steel guitar styling by Owana. And the voices!... Hawaiians say, "Maika'i na mele...himeni hou!"
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Just returned from camp where I met Owana Salazar and heard her work for the first time. Her 2002 CD, "Wahine Slack and Steel" came home with me. Wonderful album I'd recommend to anyone. Very tasteful steel and slack key playing, and of course, her gorgeous voice.

I enthusiastically concur! I was overbooked with other classes that conflicted with Owana's so did not take her classes, but her music and performances were very much a part of this camp. I was stopped in my tracks one day (headed up the hill to my tentalow at the top of the hill) by Owana's clarion voice soaring through Dennis Kamakahi's "Koke`e." She seems to do it all: impeccable slack key, steel, and gorgeous vocals. Wish I had picked up her Hula Jazz album too.

Hey Karl, fun meeting you and playing on your Lanai. Hope we get to do it again!

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 02/17/2008 08:17:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  11:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
Yup, had a great time all around, really enjoyed our playing together. Remember, I would like to hear a recording of those two originals you played for me :}

Can you get me some info about the CO2, methane, Hg in impounded lakes???

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  08:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Oh, yeah. Cool. That'll give me the incentive to record those tunes. I got the recorder to track my progress, etc., and in the last several months haven't really done any recording (except at camp).

I will also look into the water chemistry questions for you.

A hui hou

Jeff

Edited by - JeffC on 02/17/2008 08:16:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Next time around I hope to get a chance to jam with you guys. Too many players and not enough time.
It fun to share many a meal with you guys and talk story though. next time we kani if get time. The schedule was rather hectic and i may have tried to be a little too diligent in learning a song. "alu also applies to the person as well as the kika.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Next time around I hope to get a chance to jam with you guys. Too many players and not enough time.
It fun to share many a meal with you guys and talk story though. next time we kani if get time. The schedule was rather hectic and i may have tried to be a little too diligent in learning a song. "alu also applies to the person as well as the kika.

Absolutely, Al! I also was a little over-booked (but loved it) and was generally ready to pack it in at the end of the day. Managed only to stay up for the official (scheduled) kani and one evening on Karl's lanai. I think I need to stock up on sleep before camp next time. I really enjoyed your playing and singing in the classes we shared. Wish I had a group like you guys in Seattle have to get together with occassionally.

Looking forward to next time!

A hui hou!

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  6:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
And BTW, was it your lovely wife who gave me the two paper dolls for my girls that said "Embrace Peace?" Unfortunately, I met so many beautiful people that I cannot be sure of all the connections. If it was your wife, please thank her again for me. The girls love them. And I do too. What a thoughtful gift. And even if it wasn't her, I am now sharing that sentiment with any of the TP `ohana who read this. Embrace Peace.

Mahalo nui

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  8:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Al,
I learned last year that if you wanted to do some extra playing, you had to make it happen. This year i got far more extra-curricular playing in than last year. I kept the guitar with me at all times and jumped in wherever i saw folks jamming. I sure enjoyed your singing and playing, and marveled at your command of so many tunes.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  9:46:21 PM  Show Profile
To Jeff. yeah it was my wahineʻs art work. She does stuf like that all the time. My card is her creation too.
Thank you Karl for the compliment. Iʻll keep in mind what you said about jamming.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Speaking of Owana, and Mary Ann's artwork -- Mary Ann graciously allowed me to post her rendition of Sonny and Owana jamming together on the camp website.

It's on the page with all the pix. Really captures the feeling. Check it out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000