Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Maunalua's latest
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
On the way home from camp i missed my flight back to Alaska (don't ask!) and had to stay an extra day in Oahu. I managed to hook up with Bobby Moderow of Maunalua. He was the first slacker i met, and he gave me my first lesson in 1997.
He had with him his groups latest release, "ho 'okanaka". I really like their harmonies and the upbeat versions they have made of some hawaiian standards. Bobby has at least one original on there, and an intro to Ku'u Lei Awapuhi that he also wrote.
This is a great third effort, behind 2002's "Kuleana", and 2000's self-titled debut, "Maunalua".
All are available at mele.com

Karl
Frozen North

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  9:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Karl

My wife and I ran into your buddy Fred ?? at a solo gig Bobby does for starwood on Tues.I think Fred said something about going home and selling his guitar after seeing Bobby take the group on a wild hour and a half ride.

Mauna lua is an incredible band that I think gets missed by a lot folks when the are visiting Oahu. They rock Dukes every friday from 4-6 all free for the taking. Come early cause they have a big local following and seats are hard to come by.

and your right thenew CD is great

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  11:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jim,
Yeah, Bobby ran up and down my guitar for a few minutes after we had lunch. He is quite good, isn't he!.. Fred told me he put on a great show for Starwood "guests/victims"
Fred better not sell the guitar he was travelling with; it is MINE!
And you are right again, Maunalua is a great act to catch. Full of energy and aloha with a live audience.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
Maunalua is awesome! I love all their albums and I hope I can catch them at Duke's in Waikīkī sometime this summer when I go back home.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  2:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Not to discourage you all, but I think there's a topic about their new album that already exists on here.

That said, isn't it maika'i no?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  4:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Saw Maunalua at Kamehameha Hoolaulea. They were awesome! The falsetto was nuts - all three can pound it out. Plus all the selections were Hawaiian standards with their special twist. no Jawaiian Reggae - just the pure stuff. To me they were the best performance of the day.

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000