Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Best Guitars for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I just found this board tonight and joined. Hopefully my first post won't distrub the force - but here goes. In your opinion, what are the best guitars for slack key playing? I have just picked up the guitar after a 20+ year hiatus and my first purchase was a Larrivee L-10. Now I am looking to expand and wanted to get your opinions. Mahalo!

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  07:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Wow! The L-10 is a great start! I love the L body Larrivee guitars. An LV-10 would have made it a little easier to hit the really high notes but you should be very satisfied with your new guitar. You'll find that everyone here will tell you that the best guitar for slack key is the one that turns you on the most. I'm guessing that's why you bought the Larrivee.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  07:21:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree heartily with Kurt.....whatever turns you on the most. That said, the Larrivee is a beautiful guitar, though I haven't seen or played a real one. I personally like the larger bodied guitars for the deeper bass tones but prefer the look of the more rounded body styles to the dreadnought shape. Also, like most guitar players, I own several guitars....each of which I bought because of their appearance, sound and playability turned me on!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  08:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

the Larrivee is a beautiful guitar, though I haven't seen or played a real one.
Wot, John - you played a cardboard Larrivée or something?

Next time you're in Seattle, stop in at Guitar Emporium in Ballard; they are one of the largest Larrivée dealers in the country, and usually have about 50 on hand - like you need another guitar, right?
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:05:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
Wot, John - you played a cardboard Larrivée or something?

Next time you're in Seattle, stop in at Guitar Emporium in Ballard; they are one of the largest Larrivée dealers in the country, and usually have about 50 on hand - like you need another guitar, right?

Very funny, Gregg. I guess I'm due for a trip north......we rarely get out to Seattle.......too much traffic hassle. But seeing a new guitar shop is a good excuse even though MapQuest says it's an hour-and-a-half drive to Guitar Emporium. Besides every guitar store in the Olympia area, I've only been to Dusty Strings in Fremont and A Sharp in Renton. But you're right, the last thing I need is another guitar!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Kealii, welcome to TaroPatch. After a 20 year hiatus, slack key is a nice way to get reacquainted with the guitar.

At the top of the Forum page is a link called "Search". The topic of guitars has been hammered to death thru the years, so I know you'll find some useful info. Besides, your new Larrivee should provide you with years of nahenahe pickin'.

Pick up a copy of Ozzie Kotani's instructional material. Better yet, see if you can get a lesson from the master himself. He doesn't live to far from you.

Pleasant journey,

dog
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for all the replies. I'm not too akamae on boards, but I should have known to use the "search" button. Auwe kealoha ... as grandma used to say.

I love the L-10V (correction to my original L-10). I was actually settled on a Larrivee L3R at a local guitar shop and then saw the L10V on Craigslist. Little too fancy for me - but the sound was there, so I bought it.

I guess its not like the old days, when it was Martin or nothing. So many good stuff to choose from. Maybe I should re-phrase the question. What is YOUR favorite slack key guitar?

A Hui Hou,

Keali'i

Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  2:07:12 PM  Show Profile
javeiro - something you said rang a bell. For some reason, now that I have the Larrivee L body I wanted to explore the D style guitars to maybe get more bite or boom. Any thoughts on this? Mahalo!

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Try testing guitars with slack tunings (won't make you real popular at the guitar shop, so get proficient at it before your try!). Something like Oz's C Maunaloa Tuning C-G-E-G-A-E, or a version one step down, B F# D# F# G# D#. If you can tune it and play it without buzz, the guitar may have promise! 18:1 tuner ratios help. Guitar dimensional stability is important.

This is a perenial topic, one I am sure I have started myself. I have argued for sticky threads like this. Maybe one day.

The finger pick issue is another one. Strings, yup! Calssical vs steel? Yup. Certainly, a shorter scale length can help (more tension at lower tunings).

Yes! I have super glue on my nails and they have not rotted yet!

Have fun!

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 03/03/2008 4:17:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:26:13 PM  Show Profile
If you want to know about dreadnoughts, I know very little. Out of all the guitars I have owned, only one was a D style. It was a Takamine that I gave away to my son a long time ago. It sounded pretty good but the bass was kind of booming and overpowering for my ear. I was always trying to go easy on the bass strings while pushing the trebles. As I mentioned earlier, appearance for me is an important factor and I personally find the rounder lines more appealing. Therefore, whenever I visit a guitar shop, I rarely will give a D style a second glance and even more rarely will I pick one up. That said, one of my friends has a Jimmy Buffet signature Martin D style that sounds really awesome, but he's a bluegrass player.

Of the six guitars I presently own, my favorite on most days (it does change day to day) is my latest acquisition, a Taylor Koa/Spruce GS that I picked up a little over a year ago. It was love at first sight and it went home with me the day I saw it even though I wasn't really looking to buy another guitar! I told my wife I'd be willing to sell one or two of my other guitars to get it but, sweetheart that she is, she told me to just get it if I liked it that much! They had several GS models in different woods displayed at the time but this GS sounded the best. It has a very full and balanced sound, lots of bass without overpowering the treble, silky smooth action and terrific sustain. It has by far the most presence and volume of all the guitars I've owned. I have not played it at the same time as my friends Martin so it would be difficult for me to compare them.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  6:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The best guitar for any style is the one that makes you want to play (and, if applicable, makes other people want to listen). By actual scientific measurement, 46% of the fun of playing is trying out guitars, whether you're currently in the market or not. (For the record, my favorite guitars for slack key are a 1965 Guild D-40, a 1920 Martin 0-18, a Goodall Standard [c. 2000], and my Baby Taylor.)

Just for fun, here's the Martin:

http://www.cloudnet.com/~rletson/Martin0-18.mp3

Edited by - Russell Letson on 03/03/2008 6:43:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Russell ... Mahalo for sharing the Martin piece ... very nice. And thanks for naming your favorite slack key guitars. I've heard good stuff about the Goodalls, but not very familiar with them (except that they run about $5K a pop - yowza). I guess I need to drag myself out to some stores to start playing with the different makes out there. Mahalo again!

Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
I love my LArrivee Too!!! But dem friken airlines people like for make fire wood! I not gonna say which airlines...but dey sure neva treat ʻum wit much aloha!?! Delta east coast sucks too!! I caught does buggas THROWING MINES, SONNY LIMS,AND JEFF PETERSENS GUITARS ON VIDEO! ONTO THE CONVEYER BELT. Mines and jeffs neva bounce but Sonnys guitar was like on one trampoline cuzinʻz! howz dat! Oh sorry, sorry, I like my papaʻs ʻol martin d-18 with da original electronic pick up... look like one D wit knobs and gadgets. My Rainsong graphite has stood up to and floated the westin Maui duck ponds; got ran ova by one van in Minn.Minn- black ice incident; flew off da rear hood of my rent-a car in Oahu nimitz, smashed in da elevator door-alamoana and my sweat dropping down my forehead straight into my electronic pick up...whew! and still going, well,... afta drying um out.
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  12:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Brada Keoki ... you crack me up man. First time I've EVER seen friken and fire wood in the same sentence!

Being that I just started back again, I haven't had the pleasure of taking mine on a flight yet - but I can just imagine. If I get good enough, next time we go visit my wife's family in NZ I will take one - but probably a junkalunka one.

D18? Good one. I had a shot at a Rainsong on Craigslist a while back but was too slow. Good to hear that they can handle. Mahalos.

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  01:01:50 AM  Show Profile
As I am sure you realize, a good guitar can be almost any guitar.

The prevailing opinion on D's is that they are not as ballanced as OM's. I have two OM shaped guitars and one D. They all sound very good.
I also had a Martin d-16rgt that sounded very good too. When I listen to a recording I did of Aloha O'e (myspace profile link if curious) with the d-16, I wonder what in the world I was thinking about when I sold it.
I would not dismiss D's.

McPherson is another very good guitar but it is expensive.
Taylor and Martin consitently make a good guitar as do Larivee, Breedlove, other high profile makers. For some reason, Taylor seems to have a following at the moment.
btw, Goodalls can be found for 2/3.5k used.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 03/04/2008 01:25:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  02:00:47 AM  Show Profile
Try play one Simon & Patrick 12 string. Da fine sounding not expensive.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/04/2008 02:01:25 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000